Is Jiu Jitsu the Best Choice for my Daughter?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by boosh, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Yup I mostly agree - I roll with a Ultra Heavy and you know it....

Having said that the "heavies" don't dominate the open categories in competitions so at some point things change

2. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

But can you honestly tell me that strength doesnt matter at all in MT?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  3. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

It can be very powerful but (at least in my town) its hard to find good TKD. I would say there are more TKD mcdojos than legit TKD. It is sad

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Yes... TKD will make you phat :D

5. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

Ugh. Wrong quote

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

TKD is never wrong.

7. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

Lol

8. chucksmanhood

chucksmanhood Valued Member

Nope, strength matters more in grappling than striking.

9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Theres a bigger margin for skill overcoming strength in BJJ, however that skill takes time to develop, the simple fact mackenzie dern is able to compete against gabi garcia shows that this is true.

(And their both blackbelts so the skill difference isnt as big as if it were trained vs untrained)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  10. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

As a super (ultra?) heavy I would suggest that striking is the easier uptake curve to a point where you become a threat to a bigger opponent. I have been turned inside out on the mats by smaller fighters, but they are all much more skilled than me - if they are not I will just grind and slam my way out of positions.

When striking, faster smaller people hit me with impunity. Sure they don't hurt as much as the bigger guys, but an elbow will still cut me, groin or throat shot will still hurt me.

I think the biggest difference is in the standing clinch - I will dirty box you all day if I outweigh you, and you will tire fast if you have to keep moving my weight.

When my daughter is old enough and I am teaching her to defend herself (and this is just the physical part - the whole awareness/prevention thing aside), I would start with striking - 99% of which would be boxing and elbows. Then add in some position work on the ground etc which I think is even more important for female self defence than for men. IF she wants to take it further then great, but we start there

The real value of live martial arts training is in the sparring and rolling, where you learn to cope with the adrenaline and being under pressure - bjj, judo, MT, boxing, MMA - they'll all give you some of that, and I'm not sure I would value one over the other.

11. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

Per the o.p. yes if she likes it and stays with it. No if you force it.

If I may suggest find a youth mma program. It covers most of the big 3. stand up, ground, and throws. Usually from experinced trainers My son loves BJJ so that is the best choice for him. My daughter loves karate to a scary extreme. Best choice for her. My youngest prefers to box.

I suggest leting her choose. SHe may decide to switch 10 times. It will only benifit her to have a varied background of all the basics from many srtyles vs a forced kniwledge of something she hates. In the end she may choose dance.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016