Is Jiu Jitsu the Best Choice for my Daughter?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by boosh, Oct 11, 2016.

1. boosh

boosh New Member

Hey, I used to do some Judo when I was younger but its been a very long time and I've pretty much forgot all of it except a couple of moves. I can remember wanting to switch to Jiu Jitsu as Judo was a bit boring for me and Jiu Jitsu seemed more interesting. I quit my Judo lessons with every intention of signing-up to a JJ class but it never materialised and now here I am about 15 years later, fat and out of shape. I'm not really posting for me anyway, I've got a way to go before I think about taking up martial arts again but my daughter is very interested in getting involved. I think she has been spurred on a little from the bullying and pushing around she was getting in school from the other girls in the class and she just wants to be able to protect herself. She doesn't like violence but doesn't want to be bullied either so it makes sense she should take up one of the martial arts. Thankfully, the bullying has stopped in recent months after a few words with the school but it did knock her confidence so I think this could really help to restore it. I was wondering really whether Jiu Jitsu seems like a sensible choice? I've kind of put her off Karate and Judo as I didn't have great experiences with them as a kid. Other than the three formats I've mentioned, Taekwondo is the only other one really that I know a little bit about. Any ideas? By the way, my daughter is 12-years old.

[​IMG]

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

When you say Jujuitsu I assume you mean the Japanese style as opposed to Brazilian Jujuitsu.

It really comes down to the individual school. A good judo played will give anybody trouble in the playground. Judo also has FAR more consistency in regards to quality control and how kids are taught.

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I'd stay clear of Japanese Ju Jitsu, but BJJ would work.

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Kids Brazillian Jiu-jitsu is great, it gives them a great confidence boost, hung on actual physical skill which works, and provides an excellent physical base for (scale able) Self defense and any future martial art study.

also judo is great too, let her try a few classes of different arts and gyms and then see where she wants to go, making it her decision will really boost her self confidence!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  5. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

She's 12.
    Let her try some schools and styles and let her stay, where she likes it most.
    Involve her in the decision, I'm sure she can tell you, what she liked or dislikes and together you will come to an conclusion :)

And if she wants to switch arts after a while, let her do that as well.
    Nothing more annoying, than being forced to do something you don't like; and from another perspective it's annoying to have to train people that don't want to do it either.

6. boosh

boosh New Member

I was referring to BJJ yes and from what I can gather from the responses, it does sound like she'd probably find that the most fun. As said, we can go and try out some schools locally, she can watch some of the other youngsters train and see what she wants to do. I suppose its not the end of the world if she just tries one and realizes that maybe a different style would be better. Thanks everyone, that's given me a little bit of direction.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  7. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Judo or BJJ are good choices, not least because they train you to handle aggression in close proximity which a lot of people have a problem with. Both have high levels of skill required, so starting early is a good idea

I would give judo the edge because not going to the floor is important as a self defence skill, imho - but not to the extent that I would make her do it if she prefers bjj

As ever, a good club you can get to and enjoy is critical in consistent training, which is how you get results

8. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

If possible don't let only watch but actually participate.
    Especially grappling is rather boring to watch if you have no idea what is happening.
    It's also easier for her to decide, whether she might like something or not, if she actually tried it and not only watched others doing it.

Again, grappling especially: It just looks weird in the beginning, you have this closeness to other bodies.
    With 12 that might even be something where it's weird for her to train like that with boys (with a boy it could be the same); some kids don't like it others don't mind the least, no matter if they tried it beforehand.

On a sidenote: It's not the end of the world either if she decides that tennis, gymnastic or rugby is something that she would prefer over MAs.
    I've seen parents forgetting that, unfortunately.

9. boosh

boosh New Member

Thanks, that's something else that's worth considering.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  10. boosh

boosh New Member

Thanks once more for the words of wisdom, its a good point about watching rather than just getting stuck in.

I'm happy for her to get involved in whatever sport she feels comfortable, that's the most important thing. I am a strong believer in getting your children active though when they are young as hopefully then they can carry that through to adult life and keep themselves fit and healthy.

11. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I agree with you 100%!

Teaching them to just love sport, any sport, is a great thing!
    And I also see why parents try that first sports they enjoy themselves - that's why I played soccer for years :)
    I liked it though, so I was lucky.

It's just always such a shame when kids get forced to do a certain sport, no matter which.
    If the kid gets forced to play tennis because is so noble, it's just as bad.

I think it's a great way you're choosing here.
    And I hope your daughter gets into BJJ; if I could I would train it as well ;)
    In case she doesn't, I hope you two find something else she enjoys! :)

12. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

People always say bjj is bad in a street fight because you don't want to go to the ground. They teach it at my mma gym and I wasn't gonna take it for that very reason.

However the way my instructor teaches it, is very very useful. He begins in the beginner's class by teaching you how to get out of the most common locks like headlock, wrist lock, etc. Then he teaches you what to do when you go to the ground. You could easily just use the moves to slam your opponent full force to the ground, then they are incapacitated. And you really dont even have to wrestle them while they are on the ground because they are so hurt from being slammed on the ground

Also bjj is not really strength based. I also take muay thai and that is pretty strength based. This why there aren't that many women women in that class but there are quite a few in the bjj class.

13. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

neither bjj or muay thai are strength based, although they do have different feels/mentalities I'll agree.

you'll find women represented in both.

14. holyheadjch

Fixed that for you.

15. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Ya, it's a context thing. Law enforcement want the suspects/arrestees on the ground. And the closing fight in "Lethal Weapon" is really cool.

16. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

Ok Muay Thai isnt strength based but physical strength matters much more in MT than in bjj.

17. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

Agreed

18. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Nah weight and strength count for a lot more in bjj. Rolled with a Polish 110kg monster last night. Believe me.

19. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Taekwondo will turn your daughter into a weapon of mass destruction. :cool:

20. holyheadjch

Was that a fat joke?