Is it wrong to use rage/hatred as a motivator to train?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by ShadowHawk, Sep 13, 2011.

1. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

personally i think that channaling rage into your training is like a double edged sword. very easy to overwork and damaging long term.

But there's ABSOLUTELY NOTHING that can take out the stress and anger from a bad day than an hour of bagwork and conditioning. I don't need to channal it in or anything, it just comes out as your trainer is constantly pushing you, and at the end of the session, you feel refreshed.....
    And bode tired =P

Its a lovely side effect of martial arts training. Perhaps thats why theres a stereotype about martial artists being Buddah calm all the time =P

2. TRK

TRK Valued Member

I returned to martial arts right after splitting up with my now ex-wife. I had a lot of anger. Rather than thinking of using it to fuel my workouts, I saw it the other way. Training gave me a place to safely vent my anger. If you yell and hit stuff most places, you'll get funny looks. If you do it in a dojo, nobody even blinks. I'm not talking about overwhelming blind rage, but I found that MA training helped a lot in defusing my anger in a safe way so nobody got hurt. I didn't hold onto it, and I didn't go hit anybody.

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I shout at the Thai Pads when I'm kicking them, because my legs won't do what I tell them. There's nothing wrong with being aggresive to some pads, or a punch bag, but you have to remember technique beats people a lot better than rage (especially when you're grappling).

You must remember a few things though, firstly, leave your ego at the door!
    It's fine being angry, but it's not okay to be angry at someone. There is a difference.

I should also point out that anger can be cause by frustration, and if you are still frustrated at the end of a session, this can put you down for the rest of the day (I'm speaking from experience, today I was rolling and I was stuck in EVERYONES guard, it was sucky).

And please don't take your anger out on to the street, that is the worst thing to do, anger & ego do not go well together, and some guy starting with you is not where you want to be.

4. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

5. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Ditto, except less than 10 times for 225 lol! Psyching yourself up and getting agro can be a good thing but anger? Rage? I think we're using very strong words very lightly, like mikey said anger and rage is loosing control, if by definition we are losing control planning on 'controlling' it is a recipe for disaster.

Am I the only one who trains because I enjoy it?

Also if some one was psyching up and getting agro with me when doing drills, sparring or similar I would drop him.

6. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

Setting your glands on fire just to have a fantastic workout will hurt your kidneys and your liver and your spleen and pretty much your whole body.

When you're angry you're more prone to make mistakes than someone who is cool headed because you're not paying attention: you're just instinctual and angry.

Maybe a better motivator is looking at pictures of fat people.

7. Devil Hanzo

Devil Hanzo Doesn't tap to heel-hooks

“Violence of action trumps technique.” Jeff Jones, U.S. Deputy Marshal

Going to have to politely--and very emphatically--disagree with you.

8. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

Don't be so emphatic. quit waving your arms around, it's embarassing.:cool:

9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Well Americans have a tendency to believe things like that, so disagree all you like :)