Is it wrong to use rage/hatred as a motivator to train?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by ShadowHawk, Sep 13, 2011.

1. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

looking at it from a martial artist aspect is this wrong>?

I dont just want to be a fighter, I truly want to be a martial artist.

2. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

I've done it plenty of times. It worked. Anger => adrenalin release => more strength. Which then has consequent effects because when you work a muscle harder, you create more microtrauma, so you get stronger faster.

I can see how it can be an unhealthy thing, though. Go ahead and use that anger as motivation, just don't end up heightening that anger or hatred or even acting on it.

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

It didn't help David Haye recently.

I suppose on a short term basis the added fuel in the belly may pull you through some tough workouts. It's one reason boxers do roadwork at 4.00am, the thought that the other guy is still in bed.

Long term though I would not want to train that way. Rage and hatred take away focus. They also both take up a lot of emotional energy.

Hold a glass of water at arms length - no problem.

Do it for an hour - you can feel it now.

Hold it for days and weeks - a massive debilitating effect on the mind and body.

This is how rage and anger will work against you.

In my younger days I have had many a bad day, thinking "as soon as sparring starts someone is getting it". I found though that when it came to it the anger worked against me. So focused on the other guy the defence goes out of the window, timing is off and all because the mind is elsewhere.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  4. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

DO NOT use anger as fuel when actually sparring. Seriously.

5. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

It depends. Lifting weights and bagwork and stuff can be a good way to express your anger. The problems are threefold, though
    1. It affects your technique. You can do permanent damage to your body like this. really.
    2. It's not good for sparring- not only can you end up doing damage to your partner, it's also a truism that 'ugly tempers and boxing do not mix'. Anger seems to actually make you a worse fighter.
    3. The truth is that you are not angry at the weights or the bag or your partner. You are angry at people. Chances are you have a specific person in mind. To my mind, this suggests that the anger won't go away until you find a way to express your anger against this specific person or people.

6. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

Yeah i never meant for sparring. Just training and conditioning in general.

7. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

I always try to find a tranquil place inside me. I use weight training and MA practice to bring about a calming effect. When I'm angry I want to shout at someone, make someone else miserable, dominate them, crush them. None of that has anything to do with plopping my **** under 225 pounds and pushing it toward the ceiling 10 times. No, I need to be centered, focused, channelled.

Anger, true anger has little to do with training or positive energy. You can get yourself hyped up and aggressive without anger. Anger bespeaks a lack of control or focus, as does rage. That doesnt exactly sound like something you can harness, does it? Aggression, fine. Setting out with the sole purpose of blasting through a barrier or squashing an opponent is great. But anger? No sir. When you're training leave your anger in the car with your ego and your cell phone.

8. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I'm not a good example, skinny arms and skinny legs but I like to lift weights and workout. Seems to help my over all mood for some reason. I like to focus specifically on the weight, not think if I can lift this I'm pretending to throw someone around. I don't like myself when I get angry. When I've sparred angry I've almost always lost.

9. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Anger can work well as a motivator for simple resistance training.

I remember when I could only do 12 chin ups. Then while in a horrible rage at someone, I did come to let off steam and managed 15. :)

10. Bigmikey

Thats if you're anger can be channeled to allow venting that way. I cant. My anger can only come out AT someone or through breaking things. It gets ugly fast. So for me, its best kept in check at all times.

11. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Yeah, mine isn't that specific. I can vent mine with simple effort at anything.

12. Kuto

Kuto Vacuumed Member

I guess anger or hatred could be a motivator for a single session from time to time but it should in no way be the reason why you train in the first place.
    Don't you watch all those 80ies Kung Fu movies? The anger-driven foes always are miserable creatures, while the hero, fighting for ... well, whatever, generally behaves close to tranquilized.
    But seriously, no. Learning to use your body as a weapon needs a clear mind.
    You wouldn't ask 'Is booze good fuel for the shooting range?', would you?

:p

13. Bigmikey

I can think of a LOT of people that would have been much happier if I were like that as well :D

14. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

If somebody annoys you, just hurt them. In the long run, it's better for everybody's health.

15. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

The longer you train the more variety you need in your motivation for training. Personally, I use anything and everything for motivation! So far for me it has worked! ;)

16. Osu,

Anger is a very accessible place to find energy for most people. It works & you get immediate feedback, so it is easily reproductible.
    However, this is not the only place, nor the most powerful.

You will be a better martial artist and a better man when you have found these other places and made them your own. :)

It is an internal journey... :)

Osu!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  17. slickoneuk

slickoneuk Member Supporter

Anger has fueled many a lifting session for me. I split from my ex, it was not amicable and I had an internal rage. I channeled it into pushing iron. It worked real good. So good that now I struggle to find the same intensity when I lift.

18. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Anger makes for a good fuel - meaning that it's something best burned up towards a productive end.

If you're still angry at the end of your session, then I bet you the session wasn't hard enough.

19. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

exactly

When Im angry I love to pump Iron, but even a long jog calms me and takes it away.

Luckily I rarely get angry but its something we all eventually have to deal with

20. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Anger is fine in moderation...rage is something completely different again!