Is it right to learn other martial arts just for the sake of being good at fighting?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Sarute Uchizaki, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Sarute Uchizaki

Sarute Uchizaki Valued Member

Hello guys,

I've been into traditional martial arts for many years but problem is that I was never good at fighting. Well, my instructor almost never taught me how to be good at fighting.

Each time I would go through grading exams I would get beaten to pulp during fighting. My next grading exams will be in 2 months and I decided to learn some combat sports in order to be good at fighting.

I don't want to get beaten to pulp. Kindly advise whether my choice is right.

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Didn't we cover this in 2015?

Yes it's more then OK.

Sarute Uchizaki and Knee Rider like this.
  3. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

If your instructor isn't adequately preparing you for the testing you are subjected to, then you may need to get a new instructor. If you need to go to other arts to get good at fighting within the framework of your current art, then maybe the other arts would be better for you?

Mushroom likes this.
  4. Smaug97

Smaug97 Valued Member

Nothing wrong with cross training mate- mixing muay thai with the (somewhat) traditional jiu jutsu was one of the best decisions i made, in fact the confidence from the improved striking has improved my jj skills considerably.
    That said I'd say it's
    Out of interest what do you train in- and does your instructor have you spar?
    Also to mirror what aegis said, if you aren't improving in your original art then I'd take a close look at the training practices in your school, e.g i was fairly confident in my grappling before i started muay thai and needed to improve striking , but if I'd been still unable to even grapple after years in ju jitsu then something would be definetely bewrong with the ju jutsu.

I hope that makes sense (I'm usually on the other end of the question asking).

Sarute Uchizaki likes this.
  5. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Why would it be wrong?

Mitlov and Mushroom like this.
  6. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I would have in mind though, that two months might not magically transform you.
    Or you even get to spar in that time in another club.

Aside from that: I train in several arts, and my instructors are fine with and encourage it.

Sarute Uchizaki likes this.
  7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I'm baffled that training in the art you're doing isn't preparing you for the gradings in that art. Sure some arts have more to do with "fighting" than others but at the very least they should offer you training in the things you will be graded on.
    Personally it sounds like you're wasting your time and it'd be more right to jump ship to a better place to train and actually learn something of value.

8. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Objectively: Its right if it helps you, its wrong if it doesnt. Basically a rewording of what most people are going to put here. Subjectively, it depends on your stance of loyalty.

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I'm only loyal to people that have my interests as a fairly high priority and do what they say they will do. Sounds to me like the the OP's instructor is offering none of that and so, IMHO, isn't worthy of "loyalty".
    The notion of "loyalty" has been a means of control in martial arts for centuries and is an unproductive thing to try and enforce.
    If you have people's best interests at heart and do what you say you'll do then loyalty is a natural by-product that doesn't even need mentioning.

Hannibal, Smaug97 and Knee Rider like this.
  10. Knee Rider

Not only that but I think whole idea of loyalty is a little backwards and antiquated when applied to martial arts instructorship. Training and teaching is a process that enriches both parties and should be done in the spirit of mutual benefit not in the spirit of ownership and servitude IMO.

Being a hard working student and investing in the process is all that should be required.

Mitlov likes this.
  11. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Bold by me.

What does loyalty has to with it.

Aside from what Smitfire and Knee Rider have written, I'll add the following: Literally none of my teachers has any problem with training not only with other teachers but also in other clubs as well.
    None!

Quite the contrary: Aside from one of them, they all (the current ones) even know and befriend each other (the other one knows only one of them).
    My former HKD instructor also encouraged me to train in other schools and arts, if that's what I'd like to do; he is still (despite me not training under him anymore for more than two years) glad, that I found places where I like it.
    That's the main thing he wants for me. He doesn't care if it's HKD or something other - and that, despite that I left this club!

There is nothing disloyal in training with other teachers, in my opinion.
    The good teachers will even encourage you, to take at least looks at other styles and instructors!
    All of mine even say, that it's absolutely inevitable to do so, if you want to become better and well-rounded.

So I don't get, where loyalty even comes into this.

I am absolutely loyal to my teachers; they know that. I know lots of information, other club members don't know, despite having more teachers.
    I'm pretty sure, they have no doubt about my loyalty, since both parties work on that and are loyal to each other. In a healthy amount of course; not that "sect-loyalty" some people connect with MAs.

Smaug97 likes this.
  12. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I personally don't think there is an issue to train in other places...however, I won't be training the same art in a different place. If I didn't like the team, I would've left.

Echo-ing what other MAPpers has mentioned. Surely your MA should be training you in combat anyway. I train in KF and I grew up doing so, and it is my base. I took up Muay Thai because I took a break from KF and needed to hit things, ended up staying and loving it and I took up grappling because the idea of chucking people appealed to me. However, through all that, elements of my kungfu/tma has come through in all, and the other styles have improved other aspects to each other.
    ie - the grappling has improved my clinch work/bridging, MT has greatly improved the striking and power gen and my KF has given me the heads up on general combat and nastiness.

Am I any good? Well I get my behind handed to me on the regularin class, because as the cliche goes... "Iron sharpens iron".

The choices are everywhere and you have the right to choose to go where your path in Martial Art goes. Choose an art, see if you like it...if you don't. Move along.

Sarute Uchizaki and axelb like this.
  13. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Take up boxing. After two years, return to the traditional art. You'll kick their ----.

Would that I had done the same ten years ago. (sigh) It's absolutely amazing how much I have learned in just 2 years of boxing. Absolutely amazing.

14. Knee Rider

It's a common epiphany for anyone who has transitioned from a typical TMA training environment to a full contact striking combat sport environment (or grappling). The hurdle is accepting this when you're immersed in your training. A lot of people simply won't accept that boxing (as per your example) has anything to offer. Shame.

Archibald likes this.
  15. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

As to your original question I'd say if your instructoris not teaching you how to fight then you're not really learning martial arts.

Smaug97 likes this.
  16. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Iirc your instructor was a yoseikan guy?

How come Sparring (which is a yosiekan thing) isn't being taught, but it is tested on?

Were there sparring classes that your not attending, or is there something else going on?

17. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I train JJJ in two different clubs; my Sensei even recommended me the other place.

If I were to start in tournaments (I'd like to try it out), I'd probably start for the second club.
    For example: In November is an SD-competition (nothing special really: You show five techniques you practiced before) and I will most likely start for the second club - which was my Senseis idea, due to association thingies.
    I will name my Sensei as my teacher though.

Mushroom likes this.
  18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I would never train anywhere, or with anyone, that tried to dictate where else I could train.
    My martial arts is my martial arts and no one else's business.
    However...if I trained in an art that competed, and competed myself, I would probably only train in one place so that any success I had was correctly attributed. Like it or not competition success is public relations "currency" when it comes to club promotion and I'm also generally a fan of credit where credit is due.

19. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

In my experience people who try to prevent students from cross training most often do so because they feel somewhat threatened by it
    So you have to ask yourself why

Training at different clubs within the same style can be problematic for your relationship with the instructor/club particularly if they compete
    I encourage my guys to go train with anyone who has something to offer and in that way they’ll hopefully avoid picking up my mistakes or bad habits

In my view one shouldn’t be loyal to anyone who tries to control you in any way

I feel it’s ok to present people with challenges that they’ve not directly trained for. I think that this can be a powerful learning experience. Perhaps that’s ok as a test from time to time, but it seems odd if it was the core testing method for all grades

Just my tuppenceworth....

20. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

From an 'old school' perspective, I would recommend first taking your concerns to your instructor concerning the training (or lack thereof). Then, I would let him/her know that I was planning to do some cross training and I would even ask for recommendations. His/her 'approval' really doesn't concern me, but being polite and letting him/her know and asking for recommendations is both wise and polite. Of course, if s/he said that I wasn't 'allowed' to train else where, then I would leave.

On a personal note, I have found that my favorite instructors have been those who have cross trained and who encourage students to do likewise.