Is it OK to quit martial arts to concentrate more on your career?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Sarute Uchizaki, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Sarute Uchizaki

Sarute Uchizaki Valued Member

Hi! It's been several years that I'm into martial arts but the fact is I took too much time to progress. I don't mean that I wanted to progress rapidly.

I've decided to quit martial arts...I don't know till when. I decided to pursue my career. Well, I won't have a stable work-life balance. That's another reason to quit martial arts.

2. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

It's your life and your choice... do what's best for you.

That said, my advice would be to speak to your instructor and let him/her know what you're thinking and tell him/her that you are leaving. If you leave on good terms, it's a lot easier to come back later if you choose to do so. I've taken breaks before and come back... always to a nice relationship because I was careful to leave on good terms.

3. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Why wouldn't it be okay to quit MA (or any other hobby for that matter), to concentrate on your carer?

I think the more important question is, if it is okay for you(!) to quit it and look for your job more.
    If you are fine with it - no problem.
    If you aren't - you might want to find a different solution.

Sarute Uchizaki and Knee Rider like this.
  4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Unless you're training for the sole purpose of a profession then absolutely it is okay to leave martial arts. Although to parrot what has already been said, let your instructor know, that way it's easier to re-join if you choose to do so at a later date.

Sarute Uchizaki and Mangosteen like this.
  5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

You can always come back later, I've had, A few lay offs, but I've always regreted them.

Sarute Uchizaki and Mangosteen like this.
  6. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I had to stop teaching as it conflicted with work regularly.
    I continued to train and concluded that a cannot commit to teaching again whilst in my profession.

it felt bad doing it, but I felt it was the best choice at the time.
    I have done well in my career as a result which has been more beneficial, but I still found was to train in some way to a lesser degree.

Sarute Uchizaki likes this.
  7. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

Hi, could you tell us what your career is?

8. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

When you are

- young, you work hard to make money so you destroy your health.
    - older, you spend money that you have earned to regain your health if you are lucky.

health > money

9. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Balance is everything I feel

I know lots of people with great careers who continue to train in MA

Of course with a career, family etc you can’t train as often as professional MArtists but I think that you just have to get comfortable with other people progressing faster than you

Sarute Uchizaki and Monkey_Magic like this.
  10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Here's a thing.
    Obviously it's fine to quit martial arts, reduce training and all that. You haven't signed a pact with the devil when you start a martial art. Come and go as you see fit.
    However...everyone should find the time for physical activity in their week regularly IMHO. Martial arts just happens to be a structured, interesting, social and often useful way of getting that activity but it can be anything really. If you literally can't find the time for an hour or two of physical activity each week then you need a serious look at priorities and what you can NOT do for a couple of hours to make time.
    These days I have no illusions that I train to really defend myself (I live a life where the risk of violence is slight) or be some sort of "fighter" (to much like hard work and goes against my desire to keep myself safe from harm).
    I just train to keep this old body moving, my brain thinking and to keep up with my kids.

11. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Yeah absolutely - I quit for close to 3 years because feeding myself comes before training.

12. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I would use the term "take a break" instead of "quit," but of course it's okay. Just tell your instructor why.

Sarute Uchizaki and axelb like this.
  13. bujingodai

bujingodai Retired Supporter

I studied and taught for 24 years. I quit 2 years ago, had enough of it. Disgusted by the world of it. Re opened 3 months ago after a bit of a break to focus on other things. Learned to budget my time for it, changed my focus for it. Having a much better time at it.

So you have to do what is right for you. Period

14. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Its a life journey

sometimes we take detours ..no regrets and dont keep looking in the rear view mirror

Smurf

15. bluelaser

bluelaser Valued Member

I did jkd twice a week for 12 months, i passed my phase 1 test and then i left school, work took over and i stopped jkd, i did see the late sifu dave carnell in town a few times but and i was busy doing other things, i could have gone back to jkd at any time, i've only just got back into jkd training due to health reasons aswell as self defense purposes.

It's upto oneself if they choose not to continue doing martial arts, i like jkd because it isn't for sport so your not training for belts, where as bjj, karate etc it takes years to move to the next levels and it can be 10 years before they get a black belt, hense why many people drop out.

I wouldn't rule out not doing any martial arts because it's easy to let it slip and end up out of technique and need it when trouble comes, when does trouble come when you least want it or expect it.

If you don't want to join a martial arts class then at the very least i'd buy a punching bag or the stand up kind put your favorite music on and give yourself a run on it when you feel like it, at least you can get abit of foot work and hitting ability, and not let your hardwork of your martial arts wear itself off over the coming years.

16. Kemposhot

Kemposhot Valued Member

Absolutely, you need to do whats best for you, and only you know what that is.

My personal experience, I never 'quit' but I did take about 1.5 years off about 11 years ago when I was in the beginning of my college education. Around midway through my second year of college I figured out how to balance Martial Arts while being a full time student and working a part time job. Since then I've managed to balance my work, martial arts and family life, although it can be difficult. I do regret that gap I had in training, however, it made me appreciate MA training more so as I found myself missing it often during that time.

17. Sarute Uchizaki

I work in an offshore company...and also I'm studying a short course which will end in December.

18. Sarute Uchizaki

Yeah....it's a pain in the ass...but have to get used to it. For example, I happen to know one of my fellow mates who already reached brown belt level in a span of 2 years! I should admit that he fought like a God!

19. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

If you are offshore start a small training group and have at it! better than leaving altogether

20. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

I have to point out that no one can "take too much time to progress". Everyone will take exactly as much time as they need as an individual. Also, it has been my experience that those to which martial arts training comes the most easily don't end up continuing, and invariably drift off to something that is more challenging. It is generally those that struggle and have to work hard to learn and advance that end up sticking around and teaching the next generation.

That being said, why would you ask a bunch of strangers on the internet if it's OK for you to do something? :)