Is it me, or is it anyone else?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by 47MartialMan, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Adrastia

Adrastia Valued Member

I'm having significant difficulty with the jump from the _actual, real-life situation_:
    a four- year old toddler, in the back seat behind his mother and not in a safety seat while she is driving, with access to a loaded firearm, firing thru that seat and shooting his mother in the back/abdomen when she is in no danger from an attacker -

to the one you have invented from your imagination: an older son with the capacity to make the judgments that his mother is in danger from a male attacker intending rape (so it's nearly impossible that she is actually driving a vehicle at the same time), he is in possession of the necessary experience, skill and knowledge to know that he has access to a firearm and can use it, firing it and _not_ hitting his mother at the same time.

There is no equivalency between these: one is an actual occurrence - one is invented.

This isn't helpful to any position on any of the possible perspectives on firearms as useful or damaging.
    w/respect A

2. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

This is one of the big flaws with pro gun arguments. They focus on paranoia about extremely rare crimes to gloss over much more pressing risks. Stranger rapes are uncommon crimes, being murdered by a stranger is an uncommon crime. Having a firearm in your house to protect you from those crimes when you're more likely to be murdered by your partner who now has ready access to a firearm isn't really logical.

3. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

How can this be tracked?

4. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Depends upon where you set the benchmark. I'm not sure anyone involuntarily committed to a psychiatric hospital for a violent incident or a suicide ward should have easy access to a gun, but that data IS available.

5. 47MartialMan

The data IS NOT available

Said paranoia can be applied to someone studying martial arts....just throwing this in there

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Is there a big problem with Martial artists killing people en mass in America?

In the UK part of applying for a gun license is having your General practioner Dr asked if your stable enough to own a gun.

Although we still have a massive problem with people with that access commuting suicide via gun.

Mostly farmers and vets.

7. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Very few people study martial arts solely for self defence, or even as their main reason.

8. 47MartialMan

Didnt make sense. What "three laws"?

Speaking of parnoia that people will take up martial arts whenever they see/hear a rapist on the loose

I would vote for that. There are many ideas or things I would like to see upon gun legislation. The hardcore pro-gun people will not agree

And why this group?

I dont know, perhaps people "start off" with that goal

And this is part of the availability heuristic of the media. The media is going to report the most harsh to captivate the audience. They hardly ever report the gun defenses in the manner of equal exposure

Citizens in the U.S. have a choice. To arm themselves or not. They have the right to be pro gun or anti-gun. If one doesn't want to arm them self, don't. But to take away one's right to arm themselves is to take away their right, Be it a freedom to own for hunting, sport, recreation, or security. But, like anything in politics, doing what is right to protect others, infringes on someone elses' right.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  9. 47MartialMan

This Easter, my family, from both sides, will gather together for a huge reunion (to meet both sides). Normally, when both sides come together, it is in large part of a funeral.

Tallying both sides, jotting down the amount of Aunts/Uncles were easy. Going to the "first generation of cousins" (my age or 50+ years old), total is 19 people. Going to the "second generation of cousins" (30 to 45 years old) total is 15 people. Going to the "third generation of cousins" (under 30 years old) total is 11 people. I have to categorized the ages because of their viewpoints in reflection. In total, my cousins on both sides, is 45 people. Now this does not include their-our spouses or offspring. For simplistic sake, let's double the number using spouses to 90 people (give or take who is still single)

So, on one side, I have 8 uncles and aunts (16 people). On the other side, I have 7aunts, 5 uncles (12 people) ..all from both sides..totals 28 people..Add this to the 90, this would be 118 people. Now this does not include friends of every/anyone who will attend

The last poll-consensus of a different subject I took was 4 years or so ago. To keep this one from being awkward, my daughter volunteered to record the data as I will approach people with a generic question format:
    "How many people do you know_____"
    The blank will be filled in with each category:
    Rape
    Mugging
    Fisticuff
    Un-armed Self Defense
    Home Invasion
    Home Robbery
    Car Jacking
    Concealed Carry
    Being Shot-Shooting another

My daughter says she is going to save the data to present it in social studies
    -I do not think most would feel uncomfortable, seeing my daughter record the data towards a school project.

I will present her/my findings here

Next...I will try to do the same in the workplace (Speaking with the Personnel Administrator for permission and guidelines)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  10. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

I see your point on this. No one attempts to stop drugs from entering the u.s?

11. raaeoh

Anti gun will always be anti gun. Pro gun will always be pro gun.. This will never change. Your mind is made up and nothing but a personal experience will alter your opinion. We all know that a personal experience is not a stat.

Personally I am pro choice. Do what ever lets you sleep at night.

12. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Unless your daughter is very young, that 'data' would earn you a pretty poor grade in an assignment.

Also - hella creepy going around asking relatives those kind of questions.

13. 47MartialMan

You don't know my relatives :evil:

14. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Regardless, the data will be completely meaningless.

15. 47MartialMan

Why?

16. philosoraptor

Your sampling method is flawed.

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah considering that many rapes happen in families/extended families and are done by people known to the victim I can't see asking about rape at a family gathering being awkward at all.
    "You ever been raped Nan?"
    "Well there was that time your Uncle Derek got a bit "hands on" one Christmas but we just laugh that off as drunken high-jinks now. One quick abortion and a word from your Dad and all was right by Easter".

18. raaeoh

When does an anecdote become a fact? 2, 5 100, 10000 people all saying the same rhing? Or is it only when a $ervey from Harvard is done?

I ask because my facts are looked at as a fable. Yet almost every person I know has a very close tale to share. I used to work in even worse neighbor hoods. Than I grew up in. The kind of place that the media saw fit to call a war zone. Gun play was extremely rare.

19. raaeoh

On the subject of rapes. I know 2 people who were raped. One had no idea who did it the other was from a freind of a freind. Far from a close relative. Also at the local college. Several women were raped. One murdered. All by the same man. None of the victims knew him. That was national news a few years back. Of course that event was over shadowed by a little boy being shot by a police officer..... after the boy Ponted his finger at the cop.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  20. philosoraptor

Sampling methodology and appropriate statistical testing.