Is it just me or has SyFy stepped up their game?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Guitar Nado, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

Syfy has always been a weird channel to me, showing a lot of stuff that isn't really SciFi at all. At their best they have occasionally barely hit that "so bad it's good" category with their movies. Until recently, I've stayed away for the most part.

Lately they have some good stuff though IMHO. Their reboot of 12 Monkeys is really good. Znation is great for what it is, which is a dark comedy zombie show. Helix is actually pretty good this season so far. Ascension was not as great as it could as been, but I feel like that was a longer series that basically got chopped to a few night presentation. What is there is pretty good.

Now I see they are going to have Childhood’s End by Arthur Clarke as a mini-series. I am a fan of the novel (it's worth a read if you haven't), and if they do this justice, they will cross over from being a marginal, mostly crappy network to a pretty decent one, at least for me.

2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Seriously? Hot damn. That all sounds amazing. I enjoyed Childhood's End immensely, I can see it being a very good mini-series, a la Dune. Speaking of which, that was pretty darn good too.

3. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I haven't watched it lately, honestly. My friend used to work for their magazine. Before they changed the spelling. 12 Monkeys looks like a good production. Now if they would just stop airing pro wrestling.

4. philosoraptor

Y'know what would be great? Sci fi pro wrestling. Have some guys dress up as kaiju. Have another battle between Worf and Chewbacca. Etc.

5. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I have never given the channel a chance, honestly.

Scy-Fy? :mad:

I can't stand any business that purposefully misspells something in their name. It's a pet peeve. As a kid, I could never figure out why Toys R (with the R backwards) Us would mislead kids into writing a letter incorrectly. And I would never trust getting my medications from a place that spells their name "Rite Aid."If they don't know the difference between the meanings of "right" and "rite" I don't trust them.

I am not a grammar Nazi. I don't care if people make typo's. I am not perfect. But a business choosing their name SHOULD know how to spell.

Maybe it is because my dad used to own a sign company. Or maybe it is my OCD. I don't know, it just really annoys me.

So, I will give the Scy-Fy channel a chance when they spell it Sci-Fi. Science Fiction- not Scynce Fyction. :woo:

6. philosoraptor

Mīn wandrian-scyf ful ǣlen is.

7. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

:evil::evil::evil:

8. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

LOL! I KNEW with a rant like that, I was bound to make a spelling or grammar mistake! :D

But then again, it is an Internet forum, not the name of my business!

Scy-fy=just wrong. :ban:

9. Guitar Nado

Haha..I understand where you are coming from. It's even worse that they used to have the actual name Sci-Fi Channel, and then they changed it to Syfy.

10. philosoraptor

Language is plastic, every generation is going to at some point say "That's not how you spell/write/say those things!" Best to give it up, realize that some generation was saying the same thing about yours and move on.

11. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

R u implyeing this is ok? :p

12. philosoraptor

So long as this is:

[​IMG]

Hell, the very idea of having a 'correct' spelling is a modern conception, created only after the dictionary standardized such things.

13. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i am highly torn between supporting philosoraptor about the plasticity of language, and facetiously stating that homophonia is wrong.

14. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

Either way I still wouldn't recommend writing "Higher me plz" to a possible employer. :p

15. philosoraptor

Depends upon what sort of institution you're applying to. Plenty of medical testing facilities would be fine with that, as would some select stores in Colorado and Washington.

16. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

of course not. that's what you tell current employers when you want a raise!

17. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

See, and you were telling me to warm up. :p

18. Guitar Nado

Syfy and stuff

So to reply to my own thread after a while, I still feel SyFy is stepping up their game.

Dark Matter and Killjoys are better than a lot of their previous stuff. Good stuff! For that alone, they are valid to me as a TV channel. Geeks who drink seems stupid. I thought Dominion was dumb after trying to watch the first episode a couple of times. Olympus I hear is ridiculous sharknado type stuff, but have not watched it yet.

Anyways, like I said - Dark Matter and Killjoys are enough.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  19. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

I can't stop rewatching sg1, Atlantis and universe, in that order

20. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Dark matter is fun, but it wants to be Firefly. And it's not. Not even Firefly is Firefly.