Is it just me....Am I just an old MA Dinosaur

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Xue Sheng, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Grond and Xue Sheng like this.
  2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

^^ That.
    For a small number of punches, sure, we can all strike correctly against any target, moving or stationary. And against a target that's not moving, sure, we can all strike correctly repeatedly. And if you're not hitting hard, eh, what does form matter? And if you don't want to maintain the hobby long-term, eh, who cares, right?

But over a training session on the bags that lasts, say, 6- 8 rounds, (1) that bag is moving, and (2) you're hitting it hundreds of times. (When I'm hitting for volume I will hit the bag more than 300 times in a single 3-minute round. I've counted.) So if I want to do this for a long time, it's just stupid to not wear protection when training. Eventually the bag is going to move such that my form will be off just a little, and I'll hit hard, and all that power will be at the wrong angle. And it will hurt.

Wise man wears wraps. :)

hewho, Grond and Dead_pool like this.
  3. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

^^ That.
    For a small number of punches, sure, we can all strike correctly against any target, moving or stationary. And against a target that's not moving, sure, we can all strike correctly repeatedly. And if you're not hitting hard, eh, what does form matter? And if you don't want to maintain the hobby long-term, eh, who cares, right?

But over a training session on the bags that lasts, say, 6- 8 rounds, (1) that bag is moving, and (2) you're hitting it hundreds of times. (When I'm hitting for volume I will hit the bag more than 300 times in a single 3-minute round. I've counted.) So if I want to do this for a long time, it's just stupid to not wear protection when training. Eventually the bag is going to move such that my form will be off just a little, and I'll hit hard, and all that power will be at the wrong angle. And it will hurt.

Wise man wears wraps. :)

Grond and Dead_pool like this.
  4. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Wraps reduce deformation in the hand due to impact. Personally my bones and wrists are strong. I have never had any trouble with bones or joints from hitting things. The soft tissue however - that's another story. If striking with the first two knuckles most of the force goes straight down the bones and is distributed into the fore arm etc. But as the bones from the two knuckles are not parallel but make more of a \ / shape, some of the resulting force from a strike has a lateral component. this tends to make the bones in the hand want to move away from each other \ - / . Hit hard enough and the resultant forces can cause significant movement and hence soft tissue damage. Herbal medicines and tradtional training practices work to strenghten these tisuses. but it takes time and regular training to do this. most people dont have the time. wraps do the same job. After decades you may well have built up the strength in the tendends and muscles of your hand to work without wraps. Respect.

axelb and Grond like this.
  5. hewho

hewho Valued Member

If I'm going to be hitting hard and often, wraps are helpful, Light padwork I'm not so fussed, we go barehand on pads in karate, but I'm probably hitting at 50%.

aikiMac likes this.