Is it impossible to gain weight, while doing MA's?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Labatt, Jun 21, 2003.

1. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Thanks for the advice guys.

I am lactose intolerant. I would have a VERY bad stomach ache if I drank that much milk.

2. Cain

Cain New Member

Oh, BTW I drink 4 glaases ofmilk a day, no problems yet ;)

|Cain|

3. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

You would if you were allergic to it.

4. Cain

Cain New Member

Oops! Sorry, missed last post, DOH!

|Cain|

5. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

I forgive ya'! ;)

Pssssst by the way, I AM THE BREAKOUT CHAMPION!!!! WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! Just thought I would tell you!

6. Jack

Jack Valued Member

You can't really gain muscle without gaining a bit of fat with it. The things I said were for Bodybuilders though, that go through bulking and cutting phases. It is the fastest way to gain muscle, after going througha temporary phase of putting on fat, also.

Go for the slow and steady instead if you wish, though. No problems. :)

7. Labatt

Labatt New Member

Im glad this thread is getting a good response.

Im ofcoarse talking about the view of a martial artist. We are all martial artists, we can all relate.

8. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

LOL!

If only those two statements where more closely related LOL!

9. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

I did the workout Matt mentioned and I was really beat when I finished, I could definitley feel it, I think it will work out pretty well. Thanks again for all of the advice.

10. MATT_LIQUID

MATT_LIQUID New Member

Glad to here it Chris. After 4 weeks I'll write you out another!

11. MATT_LIQUID

MATT_LIQUID New Member

12. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Okay, thanks! :D

13. MATT_LIQUID

MATT_LIQUID New Member

np. kick back relax and read!

14. Jack

Jack Valued Member

Those authors are very knowledgable, I've made some good gains with the advice they've given. Make sure you stretch well so as to not lose flexibility and speed. :)

15. DarkKnight1967

DarkKnight1967 New Member

That's a great site for picking up anything you'd want to know about lifting - a very diverse group of people who know their stuff. www.ironmagazine.com is another good one.

Granted, the guys here who are having a hard time gaining are in their teens and that does contribute greatly to metabolism speeds, but here's the formula I follow when bulking/cutting/maintaining weight:

Bodyweight (BW) x 12 = daily caloric intake to cut weight
    BW x 15 = calories to maintain
    BW x 18 = calories to bulk (or gain) weight

Also, someone in the beginning mentioned not having enough time to hit the weights. Time is a great hindrance, no doubt. To get everything in I have to overlap training days - that way I hit the gym 7 times a week immediately after work (4 days on weights, 3 days on running) and then go straight to TKD practice. It's tough and requires pretty meticulous scheduling (esp. with kids), but it can be done and you'll sleep pretty good at night as well.