Is it impossible to gain weight, while doing MA's?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Labatt, Jun 21, 2003.

1. Labatt

Labatt New Member

I think it is! So much intense kicks and fighting, and jumping, and blah blah blah. I'm trying to gain weight, but It's difficult, even if I eat more, my weight is mantained. I must burn alot, I usally go 3 times a week.

2. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Same here, I eat like a rabid monkey and I haven't gained more than a few lbs in 3 months!!!!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2003
  3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Squat, deadlift, bench, chin

EAT EAT EAT

REST REST REST

Repeat...

4. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

I'm already doing it. I don't drink much coke and pepsi and stuff like that and I noticed that I started drinking it for a while and that is when I gained weight. Right now I am gaining at a very slow rate, but I am not getting any taller either.

5. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Then your doing it WRONG!

6. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Okay. What am I doing wrong? I put the food on the end of my fork (or spoon!) and I gently insert the food into my mouth where it is chewed up and slobbered on. Then I swallow it and repeat the process until I am very full.

I would like to workouut every 2 days but I don't have time so I only work out every 52 hours on top of my MA. I also jog every day. Mabey I need to be doing more reps?

I sleep from 2:00 in the morning to about 12:00 noon.

7. MATT_LIQUID

MATT_LIQUID New Member

"SHUT UP AND SQUAT!"

lift weights 3 times a week!

check this forum out:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=10

here is a good lifting split for a n00b to weights!

try to start with a weight you can lift 12 times

monday-chest, triceps and shoulders

3 sets incline bench press
    3 sets close grip bench press
    3 sets dumbell behind head ext.
    3 sets military press
    3 sets dumbell press

tuesday-rest

wednesday-back and biceps

3 sets deadlifts
    3 sets pull ups max amount of reps
    3 sets dumbell curls
    3 sets barbell curls

thurs-rest

friday-legs and calves

3 sets squats 20 reps
    3 sets leg curls
    3 sets leg ext.
    3 sets standing calve raises

weekend rest

eat 6 meals a day.

eat 1.5 grams of protein per pound of your body weight

try and eat 6 eggs in the morning, 2 whole eggs and 4 egg whites

try and drink 2-3 pints of milk a day

after a lifting session drink a N-Large2 with 4 scoops

eat loadsa whole meal bread

If u go to macdonalds have a chicken premier meal

try not to eat too many sweats as they will fill u up and u need u r appet.. 4 food.

any other questions will be answered

8. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

If I drank that much milk a day I would be in the hospital dude, but I will take your advice on the weightlifing and try to make time for lifting, but with all of the MA I do it is really hard to fit in weightlifting. Mabey I need to not sleep so late.

9. MATT_LIQUID

MATT_LIQUID New Member

or maybe u should lift in the nights lol

10. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Good idea, I stay up to watch cartoons anyway, and we have a TV in our weightroom so I might as well do that.

11. MATT_LIQUID

MATT_LIQUID New Member

I find myself staying up all hours

12. magnus

magnus New Member

Try counting your calories.

I thought I ate all the time too, but when I counted the calories, I was only getting about 2000. Now I make sure I get between 3500-4500 a day and I'm slowly gaining weight.

Drink protein shakes.

I work out 2 times a week and do MA 3 days a week.

Good luck.

13. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

I have counted out my calories, we had to do it for school earlier this year. I eat from aobut 3000-5000 calories a day, but I run 3.5 miles every morning. I work out 2 times a week and do some sort of MA everyday. (Usually Kendo) I am going to try to work out everyday though.

14. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

where do you get your calories from ?

15. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

16. Labatt

Labatt New Member

Haha.

Listen though. If you eat a little above maintenance, isn't that enough?

The body uses what it needs, the rest gets stored as fat. If you eat too much like 3000-3500 would you not start gaining fat? Isn't the idea to gain muscle mass? I have read mike mentzers works, and it seems to make logical sense. " Training, and rest is much more important that nutrition" He says, go 300 cals to 500 cals above maintenance. That would be 2300 for me. Genetics will determine the rest. I don't want fat, just muscle.

What do you think?

Yes, I already to Squats, Dlifts, and Bench.

17. Jazman

Jazman New Member

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    try and drink 2-3 pints of milk a day
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I drank that much milk a day I would be in the hospital dude

I don't believe drinking that much could land you in the hospital, I drink more than that quite often. Although an intelligent nutritionist I talked to suggested eating lots of fat-free cottage cheese instead of milk. won't hinder your breather and more protein/calories with no fat. plus it tastes good

18. Telsun

Telsun Valued Member

This is not the way to get big!!! Try working out just once a week if you're not gaining on twice a week. As yoda said just use compound exercises i.e squats, deadlifts, etc. You have to exercise hard......VERY hard. To failure (when it is safe to do so) or to near failure.
    Your running will be reducing your gains. If you squat hard enough you will not be wanting to go running the next day anyway. Dry reducing your running to just 3 or 4 times a week.
    Your diet requires good nutritious food. I am not into counting calories, etc. All I do is eat lots of good food.
    Labatt you should be able to make adequte gains whildt training 3 times a week. Just use your weights time wisely.

If you really want to get big you will have to make some sacrifices.

19. Jack

Jack Valued Member

Come on, chant with me boys..

STEAK, TUNA, OATMEAL, RICE,
    STEAK, TUNA, OATMEAL, RICE,

Try two intense fullbody workouts a week, squats, bench, dips, chin, deadlift etc. make the workouts brief, we don't need 15 sets for one or two muscle groups, the few core exercises done with intensity will do the trick.

Do cardio 3 times a week, but instead of how you normally do it (3.5 mile run) - try out some HIIT running. This basically means... SPRINT as fast as you can for 20 seconds, then rest for 10 seconds, rinse and repeat. Do this for a total of 5 minutes or so for the first few weeks, then 6, 7, 8 minutes as you become fitter.

At the end of your workouts, AND at the end of your cardio sessions - get some maltodextrin(sp) and whey protein in you as a shake. If you can't afford this shake, try lots of orange juice and eggs... maybe some tuna or a banana too.

Now, eat eat eat. You're not gaining weight? Eat more. "But I'm eating 4,000 calories a day!".. Eat more. 5000 not working? eat more. Six or more meals a day, consisting of LOW GI carbohydrates like brown pasta, rice, and breads... lots of protein from tuna, steak, poultry, any meat. Throw in some healthy fats in the form of flax oil or peanut butter. Six meals a day, a portion of each macronutrient. However much you're eating now and not gaining on, add 200 calories per week until you're gaining a steady 1-2lbs per week.

Get the shopping list ready. :D

Best of luck,
    Jack

20. r4bid

r4bid New Member

1-2lbs a week? isn't that a bit much unless he wants to get fat?