Is intelligence inherent?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by SiAiS, Jun 6, 2010.

1. SiAiS

SiAiS Moved on

Does the thinking mind accurately project the awareness of the person thinking them?

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

is it just me or does that sentence make no sense and is unrelated to the thread title?

3. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

No, it's not just you. The sentance is ungrammatical.

4. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Decades of research into twins, adoptions, separated at birth siblings has shown that both genetics and environment make a roughly equivalent contribution to formal measures of intelligence.

5. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

And it's also inspired a rich vein of dramatic fiction, such as 'The Prince and the Pauper' and 'Trading Places', to name but two. Oh, and 'Twins', of course.

6. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

7. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Good argument that, not sure of the validity but the concept is nicely done.

The Bear.

8. SiAiS

SiAiS Moved on

okay, thanks

9. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

That is a really thought provoking question.

I'd have to say (in my opinion) that no, the thinking mind doesn't always accurately project the awareness of the person thinking thoughts.

Take memory. We remember things through association. Long term memory often occurs in snipets, and is sometimes incomplete or altogether inaccurate. In that particular frame of mind, we are projecting the memory to our external awareness, which kinda pulls us into that moment. We even have false memories.

then again, awareness is simply our ability to assimilate external stimulation.... awareness is simply the projection of the internalization of external events.... or another way to say it is that awareness is the externalization of internal events.

What an awesome topic.

10. spidersfrommars

spidersfrommars Valued Member

You know there are many, many wonderful books/essays availably on the philosophy of the mind. You may benefit from reading a few of them before further discussion on the subject. Personally I suggest "Philosophy of Mind: Classical and Contemporary Readings" As to the OP: what are you really even asking?

11. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

HuH? Please rephrase, pretty please with sugar on top.

Instead of trying to answer what I'm 90% sure you're asking I'd rather answer it once I'm 100% sure of what your asking.

12. darkunklereturn

darkunklereturn Valued Member

are we forgetting that this is a philosophical thread?
    logic has no basis here, this is where we should be able to let go of the common conceptions and misconceptions that we hold about what we believe.

for if a chair was not a chair and was in fact a table, would that make the table then a chair or would it be something else entirely?

Huh? we perceive ourselves defined by our perceptions based on others. what we feel of ourselves is often far from what we truly are. as we are basing it on what we see in others.

so no we do project what we TRULY are unless we are able to be completely honest within ourselves.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2010
  13. spidersfrommars

spidersfrommars Valued Member

Are being sarcastic please please please say you're being sarcastic. You do know that logic is the foundation, heart, soul and single most god damned important aspect of philosophy right? RIGHT? God I hope I just missed the joke on this one.

14. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

You and the OP have been smokin it up haven't you? Only LOGICAL explanation to both of your guys posts.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2010
  15. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

I liek lamp.

16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Everything we do or have has an inhereted component.
    And then everything we do or have is shaped by our environment through life.
    Put a genius in a family of dullards and he won't fully realise that genius-ness. That takes environment too.
    In the same way a person with the potential to be 6'5" won't realise that height if he's starved for most of his life.

17. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

It's like.... is the perceived event as perceived, or only a slant of perception? Is a chair a chair if it's a table? No! It's a hammer, obviously. I'm sorry, it's actually driftwood. Meet driftwood, my personal assistant. It gets so lonely here in the middle of the street, what with traffic and the radio and all. No wait, I'm only day dreaming.

the designation does not designate the THING, only the usage of the thing. That is, OUR usage of the thing. Like, is a horse a horse because we say it is, or is horseness inherent to the horse?

A horse is a horse, of course of course..... :bang:

18. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

This is a pointless thread.

19. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

As pointless as showering.

20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Do Taiji Lou's posts tell us something about the inheritence of intelligence? :)