Is GKR a scam?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by puma, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Shotokan_Andy

Shotokan_Andy Valued Member

4th Kyu Instructors and 6th Kyu Sempai's... wow, crazy. I'm actually shocked.

2. Kave

Kave Lunatic

Even if for that eight week period you were training for 40 hours a week, that is only 320 hours, nowhere near enough time to be anything approaching competent. I have been training for more hours (admittedly at a rate of 4 hours a week over a bit less than 2 years) and I am considered an absolute beginner in my art. There is no way I would be instructing at my Gym with 320 hours. If the eight weeks instructor training is less than full time, for example eight hours a week, then that would be a terrible joke.

Secondly you are claiming to teach self defence. Here is a video of GKR sparring for a black-belt grading.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPpbZeEUGbM"]GKR Black Belt Grading - Sparring - YouTube[/ame]
    This is not good. There is no intensity and their habits are shocking, flinching away from tappy strikes does not suggest to me that these guys have learnt anything approximating self-defence. If someone was to throw a punch with intent at these guys, they would be in real trouble. Unfortunately what GKR sells isn't a martial art or self-defence, it is a social club where people pay money to pretend to be developing unarmed combat skills. I wouldn't pay to learn swimming from someone who had only practiced swimming on dry land, and I wouldn't pay to learn self-defence from someone who has only punched air.

3. Shotokan_Andy

How can it be effective Karate if you don't know what it's like to hit or get hit?

4. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

In my opinion, that's probably characteristic of a lack of partner drills. I gather that there's a gap in GKR classes between basics and free sparring that they don't generally fill with drilling pair-work. Partner drills are important in learning how to be hit and to hit a partner with a some impact and some control.

As my instructor tends to put it, the first bits of "kihon kumite" you learn with a partner aren't about learning fighting techniques, they're about learning to judge how long your arms are and learning to face someone who's trying to hit you. Without these, jiyu kumite either becomes excessively cautious or utter carnage.

5. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

Did she become a trainer after coming in with no training and then doing an eight week course? If that is the case it is terrible. But she may have been there for some time before going for the instructor course. From the looks of GKR she probably hasn't, but it is possible.

Edit: changed the gender. Thanks PASmith.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Lorelei is a woman.

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

What does Go Kan ryu even mean?
    Hard Building Style?
    Hard family style?
    Hard House style?
    Hard house!?! Brilliant! :0

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  8. Shotokan_Andy

There's some interesting threads on Bullshido if you search "GKR"!

9. Shotokan_Andy

It's a mix of Gojo Ryu and Shotokan.

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah I know. But the Kan in Shotokan means hall or family or group. Meaning "The place or group where the method of Shoto (Funakoshi) is followed".
    It usually goes at the end of the name of a style or association (I could be wrong there?) right?
    The name doesn't make any sense to me and my (very) limited understanding of Japanese and Kanji.

11. Shotokan_Andy

Ah right! Yes, I see what you mean now :)

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Like Shidokan, Bujinkan, Kyokushinkaikan, Seidokeikan, Yoshinkan etc etc..

13. Shotokan_Andy

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Can't find anything about the name on their site. Did find this comedy gem though..."GKR is...one of the worlds most likeable martial arts styles".
    Hahaha. Never heard a style described like that before. :)

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Hmmm...I'm not convinced.
    Ironic they choose the bit that says "hard" though. Given their training and sparring. :)

16. Shotokan_Andy

And "complete"... :eek:

17. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Let them play around in their pyjamas. Keeps them out of trouble, doesn't it? Otherwise we'd spend all day cleaning the crayon off the walls.

(too harsh?)

18. Shotokan_Andy

They wouldn't be allowed to make proper contact on the wall with their crayons, so it would be pretty easy to clean off :D

19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

From now on I will think of GKR as the "Hard House style" and I don't care what anyone says. :)
    I suppose given that it involves throwing your hands in the air and making shapes with a bunch of happy people, it probably fits.

20. puma

puma Valued Member

If www.ilovegkr.com isn't their actual website, who's is it and why on earth would they let them write this nonsense? I've never seen anything so stupid in all my life!