Is everyone a track star

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Shou Tu, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

Why when the question comes up about anything over 1 person attacking does everyone say "get a chance run like the wind." I am just not understanding this method of training or thinking.

Can someone enlighten me.

Salute,

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Anything over 1 person attacking? I'd run from 1 given the opportunity. If I go home to my kids in one piece - that's a win.

3. kickcatcher

kickcatcher Banned Banned

No doubt with all that Shou Shu stuff you don't need to be a good runner?

4. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

I understand that line of thinking i feel the same way. If i can make it home to the family great.

When you cant run but have always told yourself im getting away as soon as an opening comes, the opening never does, then your training is suppose to kick in correct? If you have never trained for that situation your mind wont react.

Salute,

blue

5. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

No problem with any of that. Makes sense.

6. teacher

teacher Valued Member

Hey Blue,
    I think i can see what you are getting at. I dont think all of the people who say run are saying dont train for it. I think it is more about avoiding developing a false sense of confidence in your abilities.
    By all means try training against more than one opponent but let us know how it works out.
    Whenever I have seen it done it has tended to be a group of opponents attacking one after the other.
    Try telling your opponents that it is okay for them to swarm you and try to get you on the ground where you can be stomped.
    I'll bet you a chocolate egg that it is very difficult to prevent them doing it.
    But it would be a good training experience. Which of your techniques are gauranteed to drop one before another grabs you?

7. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

thank you

i guess i finally got the right words in a sentence that is understandable. Its hard to put verbal conversation into words so everyone can understand it.

8. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

actually i would place those questions on the multiple opponents thread.
    and we train that way but you dont want a new student telling 6 advanced students ok all of you attack me. there are Crawl, Walk, Run phases to training. In fight situations its not techniques I use it is the stikes what ever is open.

Salute,

9. teacher

teacher Valued Member

Hey Blue
    sorry mate i didnt see the multiple attackers thread until after this one.

10. Shaolin Dragon

Shaolin Dragon Born again martial artist

I think the point here is to not be overconfident in your abilities. If you underestimate your opponent, they may end up surprising you. Apart from anything else, just because you can't see a gun or a knife, doesn't mean there isn't one.

11. Guerilla Fists

Guerilla Fists New Member

At the same time, I certainly wouldn't turn my back on them if they were armed. Irregardless, isn't it a cardinal sin to turn your back on your opponent?

12. Shaolin Dragon

Shaolin Dragon Born again martial artist

Which is why we are taught to wait for the opportunity before running - even if you create that opportunity;)

13. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

That is a good theory too, as i said before replying to Yoda. IF you train with the mentality of "when an opening comes i will make my get away to avoid a total beat down, because i know i cant beat them all", when that opening never makes itself known or seen your training and preperation in training will be lacking. your senses and your mind set wont be on the fight 100%, your mind will be "i just kicked two out of 5 arses and they arent giving me an opening, damn were is that opening?" instead Im asking why not train with the mindset that "i just kicked two out of 5 arses and I want the 3rd and the 4th", that mentality shows in your eyes and in your fighting, if you have any doubt it shows and the opponents see that and feed off it.

All it takes is one to see your looking for a way out and the rest will see it too and devour what ever plans you had to get away.

Just my humble opinion.

Salute,