Is Dana White right about Women's MMA?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Pitfighter, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

Just heard that Gina Carano is out of the June 18th card.

Outside of her and Cyborg and maybe a handful of other chicks like Megumi Fuji and Marlos Coenen, who aren't in the same weight division, there aren't many chicks fighting to make the 2 or 3 divisions deep enough to have consistent fight cards.

Typically when someone pulls off a card Zuffa's been good at finding a replacement. It may not be able to in this case just because of the lack of available fighters.

Basically, doesn't Dana White have a point when he says there aren't enough quality female fighters to add a division into the UFC?

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

There aren't enough in any full contact martial arts. The girls that do just end up fighting each other again and again.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Exactly - a shallow pool that however talented gets stale very, very quickly

4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

you know what to do, people of MAP. start raising your daughters to become MMA fighters! :p

5. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

It's a problem I've always had with female fighters. Not to disrespect them in any way but I've seen plenty of world champion thai boxers in the ladies division who if they were men, would have no where NEAR the skill level required to get to the same level. Yet, for some reason, people insist on saying they're amazing etc. I just never got it.

6. liero

liero Valued Member

Can of worms...

Open!

I was going to post a story- but it's not worth the aftermath!

7. Moi

Unfortunately it's the truth. There are always going to be one or two exceptions but on the whole there aren't enough female fighters to go round

8. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Ive always found females absorb knowledge better than males and fight much more technically early on in their careers,however as has been said there are not enough of them coming to the gym that want to box:( :)

9. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Its also general exposure as well. Women (especially in fighting sports) have always been generally regarded as inferior. Sponsorship not as lucrative etc.
    I think there is a all female MMA circuit (G-Fight) i think. Currently at work so cant hunt.

I dont think the talent pool is shallow, its just going round and finding them! But in general there arent as many female MMA practioners (from what I've seen). I know/train with 1!

But theres plenty of girls I know in boxing / muay thai etc, so its also just a matter of switching interests.

10. Moi

I've noticed that with clean technique as well.

11. Done-Gone

Done-Gone Banned Banned

I'm training the future women's UFC Champion - Spikey's little sister - Kimberly. She'll be ready in about 15 - 20 years from now. I can't wait til then, if I'm stll around. LOL

12. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

I think eventually they'll be 3 - 4 women's MMA divisions which are all fairly deep in terms of talent. Possibly 125, 135 and 145.

I also think the UFC will have female fighters.

:)

13. Mushroom

It would be nice to have female fighters in the UFC. Though now they have Strikeforce to fall on for that in the time being.

14. righty

righty Valued Member

The talent pool is quite shallow. Just look at the number of MA practitioners in general comparing men and women.

But it's also what is entertaining. For example, take the mens. In my opinion the best fighters (in terms of the ones that win) aren't always fighting. Why? Because they aren't as entertaining as fighter even though they always win. People are much more likely to pay to see an entertaining fight then see two people dance around for a few rounds. Also know that the majority of viewers aren't trained to any large extent so they don't appreciate the technical side of things as much as say, the people around here.

Now remember that most viewers are male.

They would rather watch two hot looking women fight then two plain looking women. It's more entertaining to the general untrained and lets face it, drunk audience. Because of this organisers get more money. And money is king.

That's the way it is. I really don't like it, but there you go.

15. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

pardon for the thread resurrecting, it took me a LONG time to refind this video.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf9W9luyxHw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf9W9luyxHw[/ame]

until I see this viciuous little woman as mainstream as carano or cyborg I wont be convinced the talent pool is shallow enough to give up, they just arent looking hard enough.

16. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

speaking about cyborg, i found this video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf6-hZ2wIls"]YouTube - ‪Strikeforce Champ Cris "Cyborg" Santos Body Slams Tito Ortiz‬‏[/ame]

17. Mushroom

18. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

LMAO at one of the comments - "this may be the first fight Tito has won since 2006"...priceless!

19. Too Defensive

Too Defensive Valued Member

I personally have a problem watching women get hit in the face. Dosen't sit well with me

20. Moi

Face. Sit. Ha ha (childishness) :)