Is Choi Kwang Do still mocked by other arts?

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Choiben, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Choiben

Choiben New Member

Hi,

Looking back through the old threads on MAP i cannot see anything recent on Choi Kwang Do.

My personal experience with the art from my 6 weeks or so of training is possitive. I think it is a good fit for me as I am not a competative person so I dislike live sparring and the tournaments I had in my previous art (Sports Karate/Kickboxing); my instructor is excellent, he makes sure everyones technique is as good as possible, he works a lot on fitness and strength, Its a hard workout (and I'm a keen runner, that says something to me). Finally most of the senior students and blackbelts seem to be of a high standard.

However I do think that as a method of self defence it is lacking; the art needs to include grappling and locks etc before it can be more complete.

As far as I can tell the Choi council (or whatever its called) doesn't seem to belittle other 'more traditional' arts (although I cnould be wrong).

So my question is; is Choi Kwang Do still looked down apon by other martial arts & artists?

Cheers

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yep. :)

3. Choiben

Choiben New Member

Ha, that answers that then! :D

4. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

No, not by this one at least, but then nor do I 'Look Up' to it either - I do not study it, and to my knowledge, I have never Trained with anybody that does/has, so I feel it would be misplaced of my to Judge it.

Travess

5. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

OP, just a friendly bit of advice. If you don't want people "flaming" your art (This is something you said in your introductory post) don't start a thread asking about the critics and criticisms of your art.

I know nothing about your style. If it works for you, that is great.

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Arts don't flame arts, people do.

Apart from Kyokushin of course. Kyokushin waits in the changing room after class and flicks rolled up towels at other arts, or waits in the carpark outside to give them Chinese burns whilst laughing and calling them "girlymen" before striding of into the night Osuing itself.

Mitch

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  7. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

***I'd say if an org's website proclaims,which the CKD site does,that CKD "has proved to be the most effective martial arts system in the world.",they have belittled all other systems. Which is hilarious as they've nothing to show that it is.

Welcome to MAP!

Enjoy your club. I'd take some of the CKD claims w/a grain,or a ton,of salt.

8. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

from http://choikwangdo.com/what_is_CKD.html

no citation from that little-known fact. most effective!

9. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

The short answer is "yes".

Part of the reason for this is that the Choi Kwang Do higher-ups still make the laughable claim that CKD has "proven to be the most effective martial arts system in the world" without any actual testing of this claim. Simultaneously they criticise many traditional arts for practices that most of those arts no longer do.

The other part is that some of us who have taken time to train in Choi Kwang Do as a second art have been thoroughly unimpressed with the general approach to self defence methods.

Finally, there are a lot of videos of extremely poor quality CKD students being awarded very senior grades. I reviewed a series of videos of someone getting their third dan a couple of years ago, and it was awful. The self defence testing could only have worked with an utterly compliant attacker - any resistance at all would have left most of the techniques worse than useless.

Don't let me or anyone else tell you what to train in; that's entirely your call. If you're doing this art for self defence, however, be aware that there are significant problems with how this art is taught and pressure tested.

My own research:

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92201

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89087

10. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Doesn't help itself with the commercial belt factory schools and videos showing constant bad form and impractical movements and no mean of testing.
    I am sure there are good schools out there with people from multi-art backgrounds but that is not due to CKD IMO.

Happy to be proved wrong on this of course.

11. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I have quite literally never heard a single person mention Choi Kwang Do outside of MAP. I would conclude that, rather than look down upon it, most people are completely oblivious to its existence.

12. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Everyone has their own opinions of the arts, if it works for you great!

13. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I was forever tainted against CKD after the MAI Special edition on it....even then I didn't believe a word of it. When I actually saw some in "action" my distaste became contempt and I have seen nothing since to change my mind

I am a grumpy old sod though......

14. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

Really? My city has 3 or 4 schools, which are fairly high profile. My opinion of CKD, from what I've read, is that it's a derivative of TKD designed to be gentler on your body. Which is fine, but it's hardly a stellar recommendation from a self-defence POV.

15. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I guess it's always gonna be related to what goes on where you live.

If it wasn't for the internet, I'd've been doing karate for 14 years and never have heard of kyokushinkai because it's just not practiced where I live. But judging by its internet presence, you'd think every other karate club was kyokushin style.

16. Choiben

Choiben New Member

Good point, I wasn't meaning to start a thread asking people to bash the art I was just curious as to peoples more recent opinions.

Reading the post back again I was asking for it! I will be more careful next time.

17. Choiben

Choiben New Member

I didn't start Choi to learn how to defend myself (I can handle myself fine if it ever came to it), I went because I hate gyms, wanted to get fitter and learn some cool kicks :) Plus it's 5 minutes away from where I live.

I do agree with the pressure testing part though. Some of the students at my school are very passive with it comes to putting pressure on the defender, even the blackbelts (maybe because i'm a white belt who knows), I think i'll ask them to go harder at me next time I go (I used to do kickboxing so am used to being hit).

18. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

I was once told by a CKD student that he thought it was excellent, because you learned to block fist strikes with your feet. And that was incredibly useful because if someone broke your arm in a fight, you could still block punches.

So my answer would be 'yes'.

Any art making claims like that deserves a measure of ridicule.

19. Choiben

Choiben New Member

Hmmm not sure about that one, I've never been shown anything like that.

It's daft if true

20. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Well,glad you didn't take it personally,especially as you're new and aren't familiar with the other members yet

Some people immediately start frothing at the mouth at criticisms of their system. Nice to see someone who doesn't.