Is choesterol a scapegoat?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by john yates, May 1, 2004.

1. john yates

john yates Valued Member

We continue to hear how "bad" the LDL transporter is and that it should be minimized at all costs.

consider these facts about cholesterol.
    Vitamin D happens from the interaction between cholesterol and sunlight hitting your skin ,so that calcium can be utilized.

Bile manufactured by the liver and essential for proper digestion,is produced from cholesterol.

Cholesterol protects the skin against absorption of watersoluble toxins.

These are just 3 functions,of cholesterol there are many more so how can we come to the conclusion that cholesterol is bad.

9 million people now take cholesterol-lowering drugs in the hope of warding off heart disease.
    1 Triglycerides of VLDL [aform of LDL,which is often labeled "bad choesterol2] are produced mainly from dietary carbohydrates.
    basicMedical Biochemistry,pages 25-26-512.
    Texbook of Medical physiology page 873

so good or bad it,s up to you :cry: :cry: :cry:

Last edited: May 1, 2004
  2. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

Moderation is the key to everything.

PL

3. satyr

satyr New Member

actually, there are tow types of cholesterol LDS, and somethin, not sure , doesnt matter, point is one is good, one is bad. You get bad by eating to much crapy food, you boost up "good" one by doing physical excercises. Index of those two (which is just a ratio) tells your if ch. is ballanced in your body... went just few days ago to see doc, index was perfect -> 0.9 somethin

4. K_Coffin

K_Coffin New Member

I think Satyr's talking about LDH (I think) cholesterol, the "good" kind. I agree with Poop-Loops here too. Moderation in everything. We need to keep balance in our diets.

5. La Mancha

La Mancha Valued Member

After 3 MIs its bad.

6. shipto

shipto Atkin's for life

I was a bit dubious about this long standing bad guy when I found out that we produce around 80% of cholesterol ourselves but I remain to be convinced that its totally blameless.

7. Zamfoo

Zamfoo Valued Member

We blame cholesterol because in excess it's bad, we get just about all we need from ourselves that's why it's good, we try to take in little so as not to get the side effects of too much.

8. john yates

john yates Valued Member

theris no significant link between cholesterol in the diet and cholesterol in the blood.
    this fact has been known for more than 30 years!
    cholerterol levels have remain ed relatively constant over the past 100 years while cvd has increased significntly.

Martinis and Whipped cream published in 1966,page 33. :eek: :eek: :eek: