Is bjj a form of budo?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Vinny Lugo, Oct 14, 2016.

1. The Iron Fist

The Iron Fist Banned Banned

Bu do = martial way

Similar to how

Ju do = gentle way

Bu do does not solely mean Japanese arts. The ideogram does not even include anything specific to Japan.

2. The Iron Fist

Yes, all martial arts are bu do. There's nothing specific to a country or nationality in the script.

武 = martial
    道 = the way

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

(cue argument about "bu jutsu" from online snobs....)

4. The Iron Fist

Well that logic applies to 'judo' then. I don't see any problem withing bu do, or the Chinese equivalent, wu dao.

5. The Iron Fist

The classic logical argument for this is summed up in Chandler's joke from Friends.

"Chinese food...or as the Chinese call it..."food""

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Judo is a Japanese art, so the logic doesnt apply.

7. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

I don't really see your point , Judo is Japanese wrestling , wrestling from other parts of the world has different names.

8. bassai

But , it's food from China , so describing it as Chinese food is perfectly logical.

9. The Iron Fist

Udon (饂飩) is just a noodle, not a Japanese noodle.

Japanese call it udon, non-Japanese get to choose the Japanese name (udon) or their own.

It's just a thick noodle made from wheat flour (not 'Japanese' flour)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  10. The Iron Fist

Judo does not mean "Japanese wrestling". You're confusing the literal meaning with your own description of what it includes. The truth is "Japanese wrestling" includes many other arts, like shooto (which actually comes from English).

Bu do, likewise, is an extremely broad, and undefined term, so it describes practically any kind of martial discipline.

Again, all you have to do is look at the fact that words don't come from Japan. It is the Japanese form of Chinese terms, in fact. Thus bo du is the Japanese way of describing the entire pantheon of Chinese martial arts too.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  11. baby cart

baby cart Valued Member

so all martial arts are wushu (aka bujutsu when read in japanese kanji)?

12. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

If I'm non Japanese, and buy a noodle in the EU made by another non japanese person/company, why would we call it Udon (饂飩), when its just a noodle, not a japanese noodle.

13. bassai

No , judo means "gentle way" , so by your definition , can I call my Ford a Rolls Royce ? they do the same thing.

14. The Iron Fist

It depends on the definition of wu shu that you use.

There is a colloqial definition (as in 'sport wushu') a 20th century term, and a far, older definition, wu shu, "martial technique" which aligns with bu jutsu.

15. The Iron Fist

If you wanted to impress a cute girl with your knowledge of Japanese.

"In Japan, they call this 'udon'".

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Wrong - they also call them "ramen" , "somen"and "soba".... :D

17. The Iron Fist

No I don't think so.

"ju do" will always mean "gentle way", literally. We both know it specifically means a type of Japanese martial art.

"bu do" is the descriptive term for ALL martial disciplines (in the Japanese language...it doesn't mean just Japanese arts, and the Japanese could use the term to describe almost anything).

It's pretty simple to prove this....the term 武道 is not ''Japanese' at all, folks. It's Chinese.

18. bassai

But , it's a Japanese description , and it's common use has come to mean something pretty specific , so describing a martial art that doesn't come from Japan as budo is pretty pointless , hence my Ford Rolls Royce analogy.

19. The Iron Fist

It's not Japanese (bu do). It's the Japanese version of a Chinese term describing ALL martial art. Every single one.

20. bassai

In what Way ?