Is a tournament a step up from interclub?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Maryreade1234, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

Hey so I had my first interclub yesterday. Was doing K1 held my own fairly well, it was non competitive but everyone had there mates there so wanted to look good. Went in did ok, people said I was doing well.

Now I want to press forward and do something competitive. But should I move on to an amatuer tournament or try and get myself an N Class K1 fight?

Is a tournament such as an AFSO British Open tournament that I can see advertised on the BKC's website a step up from an interclub? Is that a proper fight? Or is it the same level as an interclub?

I was thinking of competing in the tournament next june, if ill be ready. Ill probably have 2 months of training in thailand by then and about a years experience in striking.

2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Mod Note: Duplicate of this thread was deleted. Was in the same area, so I think it was just an error that it posted twice?

Just letting you all know because I am a big believer in open disclosure of even small mod actions. Carry on.:)

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Those tournaments tend to have crappy rules. Better to do the N-class on a fight night. Plus there is no comp fee for entering a fight night!

4. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

What sort of crappy rules? Dont let you go in hard?

5. Pretty In Pink

Well there's two types of kickboxing. One is K-1, the other is crappy WKSA "continuous sparring" and the rules are weird/crap. No leg kicks for starters. Can't hit people too hard and if you do they stop and reset you.

Definitely do N-class at a show. Better experience and honestly a lot more fun when you can just get wasted right after it.

6. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

When will i be ready for n class? Should i do say 10 interclubs or is it the same skill level as interclub?

7. Pretty In Pink

Well they would match you with someone similar age and experience so whenever your coach says you're ready really.