is 35 too old to start a hard martial art like Taekwondo or Kyokushin Karate?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by naqshbandi, Feb 13, 2009.

1. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

If anything, your age should benefit you in TWD or Karate:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t8xwpW8gJQ"]Kramer Dominates the Dojo - YouTube[/ame]

2. Revobuzz

Revobuzz Valued Member

Your never to old. I really regret leaving it this late to get back into MA. I'm older than most in my class and I can't do what some of them can, but I love it all the same.

3. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

Flexibility is probably more of an obstacle than "hardness".

I started taekwondo in my late 20s, and what I found is that, since I hadn't developed flexibility at a younger age, I had a lot of difficulty with the head-high kicking that is so important in taekwondo sparring. If you were never able to touch your toes before you were 35, chances are you're not going to be bringing down axe kicks from behind your ears now, no matter how hard you train.

That does not, of course, mean that you shouldn't try. There are benefits at any age. I thoroughly enjoyed my time in taekwondo, despite the fact that I was never able to match the acrobatics of those who started younger.

4. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Right. If you go about it as if you were really keen on being able to rain down axe kicks from behind your ears, you will make tremendous progress nevertheless.

Look mate, take someone 42 who's going about things with that mentality, look at them and then look at the other avg 42 year old.

No, you're not gonna qualify for the CIRQUE DU SOLEIL
    chinese acrobat team, but LOOK at the difference in the quality of life between the bloke who's really trying for it as opposed to the one who isn't.

5. lexmark

lexmark Valued Member

I"m 35 and just started kyokushin about 2 months ago. One of the first things I asked about was if my being completely out of shape was going to make it too hard to keep up. My sensei told me just to do my best and not give up but not to kill myself. He said it was more important to have fun and enjoy the classes than to get injured trying to keep up with the younger students and even the ones my age that had been doing it a few years.

So, if your instructor expects you to keep up or die trying, find a new one.

6. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

Well I'm 56 and I only started Wing Chun a couple of years ago,and a lot of the guys in my class are in their 60's. The reason I chose this style was because I have had two artificial hip replacements, which I believe was caused by my addiction to high kicks.
    If I were you I would sit down and think what do I want to get out of martial arts? and do I particularly want to learn this style or would I be happier doing a style that was less demanding, and that I could reasonably expect to get a high level of proficiencey at. If you are dead set on the style then go for it.

7. LOL....... yes, why?
    You may be too old for Wing Chun...

Osu!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  8. hext

hext Valued Member

I'm 27 and stated Karate a year ago, I'm actually one of the youngest I'm our club (second only to my girlfriend) the average age is around 45. Find a club and get stuck in :D

9. hext

hext Valued Member

I'm 27 and stated Karate a year ago, I'm actually one of the youngest I'm our club (second only to my girlfriend) the average age is around 45. Find a club and get stuck in :D

10. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

No, none at all, however I have done MA's all my life. Really you need to look at individual schools and get a good idea of what they do. Some Wing Chun schools are tougher than others. There are quite a few martial arts that you can do regardless of age, such as escrima or kendo. With fitness you just have to watch yourself and not push yourself too hard until you have an idea of what you are capable of.That is quite easy to do, e.g. when you are asked to do punches you can throw them lightly at first until you know how many you can do.It's a good idea to watch a class first if you can.

11. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

double post