is 35 too old to start a hard martial art like Taekwondo or Kyokushin Karate?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by naqshbandi, Feb 13, 2009.

1. iaingreer

iaingreer Valued Member

Go for it, TKD is for everyone, we had a 58 year old training twice a week with us!!

2. BarnziKsw

BarnziKsw Valued Member

your training will only be as hard as you make it but as many people have said to me... "the more it hurts now the less it will later"

3. Martial_Mathers

Martial_Mathers Capoeirista

Very simply put! :cool: My only advice is to listen to your body. Have fun, and train hard!

4. MatsunoCj

MatsunoCj Jujitsu rookie

yea i cant say from personal experience but my dad just started jujitsu a couple months ago and he is 45 and the falls and some of the things were a little rough on him to start but he was in good shape to start with the got used to it quickly, also i have an o sensei in my class who is in his mid 60's i think and he throws me all over the matt lol and im 22.

5. Martial_Mathers

Martial_Mathers Capoeirista

Heheh...

...My mestre is about 38, and he has more wind....more power....more everything than all of us (..ranging from 18 - 40 years of age).

6. MatsunoCj

MatsunoCj Jujitsu rookie

yea alot of times age doesnt have much to do with it, especially because so much of it is technique and not pure power and stamina

7. Ogriv83

Ogriv83 Valued Member

I would say definatly go for it. As many have said it may be hard in the beginning and a struggle but you will get there and the long term benefits really do outweigh the short term negatives

8. ColaMike

ColaMike Valued Member

It's up to you, I know several people who've started Tae Kwan Do much older than you currently are, well into or past their forties.
    If it's to hard for you, then it is. It's there for you to try though, and it can't hurt to give it a shot.

9. tone

tone Valued Member

you all sound like you are talking about a 70 year old!!! i am 35 and returned to training recently and am loving it. i have the mental endurance,dedication, and maturity and my fitness and technical skills are increasing rapidly.as long as you know your personal limits you will be fine listen to your body.you go for it,and enjoy your self.

10. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

One of the best replies i have seen so far, being myself 36 and looking into aiki jujitsu with a lot of falls and take downs, the best thing is too go see for yourself and talk to the sensei has i did this weekend, worst i have a back injury, but sensei answered all my questions about this and much more, many of the member at that club where older, i mean in there 40-50 and even 60, they where just having tones of fun.

I started weight lifting about 2 months ago and my back seems to be taking it real good, i mean what can be worst on the body then weight lifting and being 36 years old right, the most amazing thing is that after a month i had regained almost all the strength that i lost within my 8 years of back pain and failed attempts to get back into training, my strenght is back, i started eating a very good diet and i can honestly say that i lost a lot of fat, i look has good had when i was in my 20 and injury free.

The body will adapt believe me it might take longer but you will get there for sure. I do has much has 20 sets for chest, back and legs and also do up to 16 for shoulders and do push myself hard, i do have soreness the next day but it goes away pretty fast and by eating a lot better i feel that it does have an impact on your body too. Also train 6 times per week so dont worry you should do just fine, tought kyokushin might be a lot harder then TDK i did both when i was younger, found kyokushin to be amazing but TKD is really fun to do to with all the flashy cool kicks.

11. locust

locust Like a biblical plague

Some of the other students in my dojang started just a few months ago and are ladies in their late 40s one is even in her 50s and never had any MA experience and they love it ,so are you too old.........
    HELL NO

Just remember to ease into it

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

All I'll say is, here is Bill Wallace at 60+:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NskaHE42qm4"]YouTube - Superfoot's Secrets For Success Series - Vol. 1 Clip[/ame]

And you think 35 is old? Pfft. You can do this stuff well into your 90s.

13. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Valued Member

i had the same concerns myself ,and it took me a few months before taking the plunge and having a go.I started ju-jitsu at 37 years old,and kick-boxing at 38,and i can honestly say my only regret is leaving it so long,i love every minute of it.

14. jobeth

jobeth New Member

i hope it's not too old! i'm 35 myself and thinking about getting back into martial arts - it's the reason i joined this forum actually! i do have to agree that flexibility is going to be an issue, at the beginning at least, but i'm sure that with a bit of effort i'll achieve alot. fingers crossed! [​IMG]

15. kenpoke

kenpoke New Member

I know this is probably more repetition of what has already been said, but here goes.

I'm 38 years old and started taking karate this January. I was overweight, out of shape, and very inflexible. I say "was" because I've lost some weight, have improved endurance, and am much more flexible than when I started. I can only think about where I will be a year or two from now.

My 2 cents. If you are not wheelchair or bed bound and you can walk and bend down to pick up a donut you've dropped, then you have no reason not to do martial arts, especially if you even have the slightest inclination to do so. You only live life once. Live it! :)

16. SunDowner

SunDowner Valued Member

I started WC when I was in my mid 30's, and the best advice I could pass on is warm-ups and stretching, before AND after training. An extra 5 mins doing this and no age should be a barrier. Start slow and learn your limits, don't push new techneques till your comfortable with the mechanics of them. After that, kick back and enjoy.

17. Alex87tkd

Alex87tkd Why all the jumps!?

We have a chap that started training with his grandkids - at 65.....

Still feel too old?

18. eltgire

eltgire New Member

No way is 35 too old. The flexibility will come with the work you put in, as will the arm/leg conditioning. My training buddy came from bjj to learn isshinryu karate at age 37 and he had the same worries. A year later he has range of motion he can't believe. The kotekitai helps too.

19. Zach2k

Zach2k Valued Member

Is it still possible to learn and perform the amazing tae kwon do kicks in your 30s+?

Someone said to me to be able to do all the flying kicks etc you have to start in your teens/early 20s!

20. watts

watts Valued Member

I used to be able to do all that jumping kicks foolery very well as a teenager, I can not now and I do not care.

Having started Judo at 35 I realised both my abilities and my frailties, the weakness of the human body and what a precious thing life is, getting choked out tends to have that affect.

So are you too old? no, and as always Judo ftw. Just get those conditioning exercises started though.