Iron Conditioning: The Myth Buster Post (Makiwara, Iron Palm, Iron Fist, Breaking)

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by hellsender, Sep 30, 2006.

1. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Nothing really.

In college, to make extra money, I used to be a amateur magician and belonged to a magician guild. Yes-We did magic shows for extra cash.

I, my college buds, and the other performers would break things without skill or training. This said, some of our parlour tricks had to be practiced.

However, I do not equate such practice with training.

Breaking serves no purpose than to entertain, boost the ego and/or confidence.

No actual martial skills could be used

Breaking is no test of skill and requires no training.

It is only a confidence builder and show stopper

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92800

In addition, martial artists no longer have to do this type of conditioning as their practices are hardly ever gonna lead them to use whatever skills.

In other words, eras past this would have been perhaps a necessity, but in these times, a conditioned hand is not as worth as a practiced proper method-technique

Martial artists desire to hold onto such things in order to make them seem like they trained in something special

2. Osu,

As I mentioned, we'll have to agree to disagree... :)

Osu!

3. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

As so, martial artists cling onto myth and untangible reality

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

OK guys, a couple of points.

Firstly 47MM, posting essentially the same post in multiple threads as you did to revive all these breaking threads (many of which had been inactive for months) is cross posting and against MAP's ToS. Please do not do it again.

Secondly, the two of you are now having essentially the same conversation over multiple threads. Please pick one and continue there, as there is nothing style specific about the conversation as far as I can see.

Thanks,
    Mitch :)

5. Osu Mitch,

Thank you for the very good advice, but I think we are done with this one... ;)

Osu!