Ippon Kumite

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Willard814, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Willard814

Willard814 New Member

I signed up to compete at the East Coast ISKF 24th Annual Fall Camp and Goodwill Tournament, September 16th, 17th, & 18th, 2011. I am a yellow belt and I have just learned to remember Heian Nidan, I consider myself to be pretty good with the skill I have learned so far. My question is how does one win a match of Ippon Kumite?:bow1:

2. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Depends what you mean when you say Ippon Kumite.

Typically, Ippon Kumite refers to one step pre-arranged sparring. In competition you would do this with a partner against another team of two, and you would be judged - bit like a kata comp.

Or do you mean "shobu Ippon" - which is shiai (competition) sparring - where the winner of the bout is the first to score one point.

Has your instructor explained what you have entered?

Gary

3. jh1

jh1 Valued Member

I'm assuming you mean ippon Shobu. I may be wrong since it's been ages since I've done Ippon Shobu but as I recall It's pretty simple. You are awarded a half point for any type of punch or kick to the body, I believe a punch to the head is also a half point. A jodan kick is a full point. Also a take down with a clean follow up is a full point. If you achieve either two half points or a full point you win. So the Idea is to hit them first.

4. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

The scoring isn't quite that simple as it takes into account the timing and distancing of your attack and whether your opponent is left defenceless.

A solid kick to the body can get you an ippon if your opponent is, say, moving into it and completely fails to see it coming or defend in any way. Same with a punch to the head.

Theoretically, a score of ippon means that, in a real situation, you would have won the altercation by leaving your opponent unable to continue.

5. gorinnosho

gorinnosho Kendo Addict

in allot of instances it's about killing the opponents spirit, rather than maiming them.