Ip Man Movies

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Xue Sheng, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Don't get me wrong, I generally like Donnie Yen movies. I liked Ip Man 1 even though it was incredibly historically inaccurate. Ip Man 2, was not as good as 1 IMO, but It was OK, and Ip Man 3, same thing, watched it and it was OK. And, to be honest, although it seems the most historically inaccurate of the the Ip Man movies, Ip Man 4, is also probably pretty good but I just can't make it through it. I tried to watch it tonight, and it was ok, but it got to a point where I just could not watch it anymore, girl who is a bully and got hurt because she picked a fight with an innocent Chinese girl goes home crying and trouble will ensue.....and I shut it off during her whining..... It was following an old tired plot and I just could watch no more....

axelb and Jaydub like this.
  2. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

I quite liked the Ip Man movies. As is the case with most movies, you definitely have to suspend your disbelief a little.

I thought 1 & 2 were pretty good. 3 was a bit out there, but it was okay. I have yet to see 4.

Kemposhot likes this.
  3. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Agreed, 1 and 2 were ok, 3 was a bit out there and in my opinion 4 is even further out there...to far for me to make it through actually. But not so much for th historical inaccuracies, more for other an old tired overused plot for many Chinese MA movies

4. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

I finally saw part 4 the other day. I actually really enjoyed it. It’s easily one of my favourite parts of the entire franchise, but I was happy to see the franchise finally end. The story was starting to get a bit old.

I would have liked to have seen Bruce Lee take a more active role in the movie. It would have been nice to see him take out one of the main villains. Either to the Gunnery Sergeant or the USMC Karate Instructor.

If there’s one thing that I’ve learned from the Ip Man movies, or Chinese Kung Fu movies in general, it’s that all Karateka are arrogant, robotic, and evil! Osu!

Kemposhot likes this.
  5. Kemposhot

Kemposhot Valued Member

I agree. I generally liked Ip Man 4, and agree with your spoiler tag. I felt the whole franchise was leading up to that more active roll which we never really saw.

I don’t agree that they’re the “best martial arts films ever” but I did enjoy them. It was definitely time to end the franchise though, I just don’t see where else they could have went with it.

6. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Ip Man 1 and 2 is basically Fist of Fury and the legend of Huo Yuan Jia's kungfu vs boxer story (which led to Chen Zhen > Fist of Fury)

3 - just an excuse to have Mike Tyson.
    4 - almost a repeat of 2.

Regardless I still enjoyed them. (RiP to Darren Shahlavi)