Introduce Yourself

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Ghost Frog, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Vince Millett

Vince Millett Haec manus inimica tyrannis MAP 2017 Gold Award

You can compete in BJJ within a few months of starting. I started BJJ at age 52 and have competed several times. Got some medals and lost a lot too. All worth doing, though, and age should not stop you.

2. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Hey,

Did a Gi class Saturday morning - first in a long time. Have done a little Gi in the past but I've always gravitated more to No Gi. There's a relatively new class not far from home - IOW this feels like a class I can keep returning to regularly once a week. Haven't had that for a while, it's a nice feeling and what I've been looking for really. Things went pretty well, it's a beginners class and I managed to catch an armbar, but rolling with the instructor I got caught couple of times with Gi chokes, not that surprising as I know next to nothing about them. At least I was corrected on the right way to lead with my head lol...... and... then he got me in an armbar, ha.

axelb and Vince Millett like this.
  3. nasd90

nasd90 New Member

Hey guys. I am 47 yrs old and took a few BJJ classes about 5 years ago. I got hurt, and really didn't have my mind in it so I quit. Fast forward to now, I recently quit drinking for good and have been working out everyday for 5 months, and actually running a 10k tomorrow morning so I'm in a lot better shape and about 20lbs lighter. But I'm still nervous.

I got up the courage today to call the gym where I trained with a master black belt in BJJ, he answered. He is precisely the same age as me and I was nervous as hell! He was very encouraging and told me all about their new facility.

I don't want to give up again, and I don't think I will. I read this book called "Can't Hurt Me" by David Goggins; it's about realizing your full potential, and a lot more if you know of the guy. I heard him about 5 months ago, and haven't stopped working out since. The message infected me like no other... I'm hoping I can stick with it this time; there's nothing in my way but me.

Anyway, could use any encouragement .... I especially enjoyed Vince Millett's post about being 52 and kicking ass. Thanks Vince. You actually gave me the courage to post on here.

TALLAHASSEE, FL if anyone is near. Thanks!

Mitch, Frodocious, axelb and 2 others like this.
  4. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Welcome to MAP!:)