Interview with Mikio Yahara Sensei

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Moosey, May 30, 2013.

1. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I'm sure people have come across this before as I don't think it's recent, but nevertheless it's an interesting insight into the mindset of sensei Yahara and confirms to me that he's a very scary man.

http://www.theshotokanway.com/yaharainterviewp1.html

http://www.theshotokanway.com/yaharap2.html

One of my teachers tells a story about attending a training session at Crystal Palace in the '70s where the senior JKA instructors were teaching and Yahara was training along with the students. They were practicing ushiro geri and one guy was getting carried away and booted Yahara quite hard. Yahara said "Show control!" and carried on training. The guy did it again. Yahara went back to his training position. Then, on his turn, he kicked the guy flying into a heap on the floor. Not someone that I'd mess with.

2. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I still remember attending the KUGB course at Crystal Palace in 1988 and demonstrating something we were working on with him. Was I scared? You bet! Actually his control was great, but definately needed to tense up a little to expect a bit of a knock. Might have helped if I hadn't seen that JKA film of the top instructors, his last stand techniques were incredible

3. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

Very interesting interview!

I liked the comments about karate vs sport karate.

And maybe a bit nerdy, but I loved comment about the movement in Sochin with the arm coming from under the armpit before tate shuto being because they had kimonos.

4. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I'm ashamed to say that was the first time I've heard of him, so I took the time to look into his background. The man is incredible. I really don't think there's any other way to put that. Extremely insightful.

Would have loved to see a sparring match between Kanazawa Sensei and Yahara Sensei.