Interview with Bill Superfoot Wallace

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Van Zandt, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I had a nice chat with Bill Wallace about his career, flexibility training, and hip replacements.

(Some people have reported my lips and voice are slightly out of sync when I talk during the introduction; I'm not sure how to fix that so just jump to 2:05 if you want to skip the intro and watch the Interview.)

Unreal Combat, aikiMac, Grond and 2 others like this.
  2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Good interview. Top stuff.

Van Zandt and Grond like this.
  3. Grond

Grond Valued Member

NO way. How did you score this interview, my man. How did you deliver this eloquently delivered surprise on a random Tuesday. I might need a joint replacement or two in my near future, too.

Thanks!! Especially to Bill's wife Jane, apparently the brains of the operation :D

I really need that shirt.

Van Zandt likes this.
  4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Thanks David. :)

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Thank you.

I've been lucky to be able to call Bill a close friend for a while now, and I asked him if he'd mind chatting with me to talk specifically about stretching and joint replacements.

It all came about because I shared a picture on social media last week, of Bill doing a full side split during a virtual seminar, despite being 74 and having multiple joint replacements. I received something like 30 messages from people saying Bill needed his hips replacing because of his stretching, which is something I get told all the time. It's nonsense.

And Bill's wife is lovely, super smart too. She has something like two masters degrees and a PhD, and she's an internationally recognised author in the chronic pain literature. They're both wonderful people. It is a good t-shirt, isn't it? :D

Grond likes this.
  6. Skip Mogill

Skip Mogill New Member

Great interview. I was fortunate to attend one of his seminars back in the 80's. I have always been amazed at his abilities and he is an excellent instructor.

It's time for me to get a hip replacement. Is there is a certain brand or type of hip implant that allows the range of motion required to continue splits/high kicks? I have been told that the replacement will dislocate. I am assuming this is not true from the interview but just wanted to see if you guys received standard prosthetics.