Interview: Gen. Choi (1999)

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Taeho, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Taeho

Taeho New Member

I have found quotes form this fabulous interview, but it doesn't seem that the entire interview has been posted here at MAP. IMHO the entire interview is worthy of posting. If I have missed it's previous post please feel free to remove this post. I have also included the history of TKD as told by Gen. Choi.

TKDshane

(As told by the father of TaeKwon-Do: General Choi, Hong Hi.)

2. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

As some of the content in that interview is somewhat "dated" ... as a sidenote the interview was conducted back in 1999 with Gen. Choi and Grandmaster Rhee Ki Ha (I mentioned a bit of this interview on this thread regarding the ITF & WTF perhaps coming together as one in the Olympics in 2008 (http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18959)

Personally I feel the interview published in the TKD Times is far better
    http://www.geocities.com/tkd_unknown/45.html

You will find (as noted) Gen. Choi's 'definition' of TKD in the Encyclopedia that I highly suggest you have in your reference library.

3. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

Yes, the TKD Times interview is much better. Much more detailed and interesting to say the least.

4. Taeho

Taeho New Member

That may be so, but I can't seem to find that article in an electronic format other than an image of the actual article.

Does anyone know if it exists? I'm sure there are copyrights involved. As a matter of fact, I'm sure the geocities site that KC linked to is an illegal reproduction of the article.

The TKDtimes site is very careful not to show any of the article other than the coverpage.

TKDshane

5. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Go to your library ... or better yet, I suggest you subscribe to the magazine! :D

Regardless of the legality or illegality of the scanned article (not my site ;) ), that particular interview is far superior to the one you posted in its entirety, .... having read alot of Choi's writings, the transcription of the other doesn't even come close to his "words".

Last edited: Sep 26, 2004
  6. Taeho

Taeho New Member

Yes it is superior, I never argued that...;)

TKDshane

7. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

He makes me laugh as do most "Grand Masters" He "invented" Tae Kwon Do? I'm sorry but Tae Kwon Do is not an invention - it is an evolution. How many Kwans existed when TKD came about? He obviously doesn't recognize those or ligitimize those, but there were many enterprising grandmasters in his era that "invented" their styles. I truly appreciate his promotion of the martial arts and Korean martial arts in particular, but to say he invented them is truly arrogant. Another funny thing about that is that Tang Soo Do was the martial art of the Korean ROK's (special forces) and I believe it still is.

Martial arts history is such a funny thing because, although grandmasters are supposed to be humble and wise they usually are quite the opposite so they write history the way they want it to read.

Not to slam the interviews though, adn thank you for posting it. It just makes me laugh.

8. Topher

Topher allo!

I agree with that. TKD was a unification of most of the Kwan in Korea.

TKD wasn't recognized untill 1955, so how did Gen. Choi teach it to the Korean Armed Forces in 1945. Infact he didn't event start his research into it untill 1946, a year after Tang Soo Do was already in circulation around the country. Which backs my belief that the effectiveness of Tang Soo Do [in the armed forces] inspired the creation of Taekwondo.

Dispite this, you can't take away what he has done to promote the [korean] martial arts.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2004
  9. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

I agree that he didn't technically invent it, but rather helped it evolve into something else. However, what was going on before Choi did his research wasn't necessarily Taekwondo either. So you can't say he claimed credit for something that was already in existence, because no matter how similar TKD and TSD are, there's still not the same thing. Like saying he didn't invent TKD because he was just doing Shotokan with higher kicks.

10. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

Have you ever heard of Tae Kwon Do Moo Duk Kwan? How about Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan? I hold black belts in both - they are or at least were the same thing. Same forms and same style. Tae Kwon Do moved intot eh sports realm and Tang Soo Do resisted that and tried to stay as a martial art and not a martial sport, for the most part. There are exceptions in both styles.

Basically, they are the same thing, and only exist in different names because one grandmaster decided he wanted his own organization. Look at all of the different TKD and TSD organizations now. They exist because grandmasters have decided they want their own businesses.

Originally it was a very good thing that peope were enterprising with martial arts, but in the long run I personally believe it has hurt them.

11. Lithanwif

Lithanwif Human Punchbag

Ah, reminiscing

I have met both of these great men, whilst only having my black belt in Wado Ryu Karate. I actually bought a car from grand master Rhee's son ( and was swindled cheers Andrew <G> ). And even though I came from a distinctly different style ( at the time, now GTF TaeKwonDo ) for some reason I watched from behind my own eyes as my ettiquette went out the window....With Gen. Choi, I barely managed a word and with Grand master Rhee I managed to talk cack at him, wibble and Forget how to take a signed book from him ( d'oh! ). But dammit Gm Rhee is eight feet tall and six feet around, or at least thats the way it seems. I'm six foot two and when I was sitting down I coulda sworn he was enormous, then when we both stood up, I realised I was a fair bit taller, but somehow my mind told me it was a perspective thing. Weird as hell.

and oh yeah, major memory of Gm Rhee, he has hands like shovels...shovels I tell ya!

Jim