Internet Phones / Skype.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by JohnnyX, Sep 28, 2005.

1. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Is anyone using an Internet Phone / Skype or anything like that?

I'm looking from the angle of a business saving money on their telephone calls.

Are you using such technology in your business?

Does anyone know of any good resources?

Pros / Cons ?

Many thanks.

2. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

I use Skype at work occasionally, but only with my mates or people at other companies that I work with frequently or know quite well. I would say its just as good as a telephone as long as you got decent sound output and a good mic. The other good thing is that you can see who as at their desk, so to speak, so you wont bother calling someone if they are not there. Also you can get an attachment for Skype called Festoon which gives you video calling, need good bandwidth though otherwise quality is compromised.

I would say that it would be a great way to save money on international calls provided both parties have good hardware. The only downside from my experience is that my mic and speakers are built in to my monitor so when I use it looks like I'm talking to my monitor and everyone around me can hear the conversation.. though this can be quite easily fixed by getting one of those handset things.. though I kind of like it talking to my monitor it makes me look a bit nuts in front of my colleagues and they tend to get out of the way when I walk past, and not argue with me. :D

3. Sankaku-jime

Sankaku-jime Banned Banned

we all work from home, so we use Skype alot after all its free for that purpose.

I also use skype out occasionaly if i need to call america or something

4. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Hi,

Thanks for the answers so far.

I realise that the technology works quite well on a single user 'home' PC with it's own Internet connection.

I am really looking at the 'business angle' - A network of 50+ PCs sharing an Internet connection via a gateway or proxy server.

So, is anyone using such technology on their business network?

Many thanks again.[/QUOTE]

5. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

Hi,

i work for a telecoms company and currenty we are looking at MOIP multimedia over IP, very clever stuff, lots of big customers within the next 5 years will drop voice and go for voice over IP, depending on your business i would check the risks against using this method at the moment as its new technology for business, skype wont handle large scale business calls!

6. Wynnston

Wynnston Member

Our business setup is similar to your description and we've just installed Skype (this week) on some PC's at work for use between our offices in the UK and abroad. Headsets are on order and a few heavy phone users and IT geeks are being added to test it all. I'll keep you posted on ease of use, reliability and actual cost savings. If this trial looks promising we'll probably gradually use Skype (or an equivalent) across the whole business.

7. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Thanks again guys. :)

Wynnston, that sounds just like a solution we would have. I'll be interested to hear about further progress as it gets installed and tested.

I aready knew, but I don't think our Managing Director did, that the people at the other end need the same technology as well.

We are a single site, so the "other end" in our case would be suppliers and customers - and not many of them are going to have it yet.

When I spoke to him, I made the analogy of the first people that bought fax machines ...... who did they fax? :D

Many thanks.

8. Wynnston

Wynnston Member

This is why we're running an internal trial between offices first :D

That may not be an option for you if you're all in one location. Why don't you get the system tested by installing it at home in your machine, and those of a few volunteers? You could test it out one lunchtime or go in later or whatever. You could also tap up a few key clients about the idea and see if they have a friendly IT department (contradiction I know :D ) willing to give it a go.

I got a call from Germany which I could hear but I don't have my mic yet so I could only reply by chat. My reply was then repeated to me to show that the caller had received it! Headphones plus mics should be here tomorrow so we'll be going for it then.

There are also 3rd party video link plug-ins that will work with webcams which we might try for video calls at some point. I also believe Skype will be implementing video technology sometime soon anyway.

If you PM me your user name I'll give you a Skype call if you like :D

9. Wax

Wax Valued Member

We use Skype to communicate between our 24 stores and head office. It works well but I'd reccoment a headset over a mic and speakers.

If you want to try it my home skype contact is "waxster". Though i'm not on very often.

10. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Is there some sort of Skype Directory, just like the Telephone Directory?

11. Wynnston

Wynnston Member

Yes, if you search for a known Skype username or an e-mail address registered at Skype it will return the user which you can add to your contacts. You can also seach for the persons real name but that will return about 10-30 entries which you will have to sift through. You can also get Skype to use your Outlook contacts or Outlook Express address book to search on Skype for the names and/or e-mail addresses you have.