international silat federation (s)

Discussion in 'Silat' started by sharp KILL, Feb 9, 2006.

1. sharp KILL

sharp KILL New Member

I often read about silat federation (local-international), but it seems to be a federation of one style of silat.
    Maybe I'm wrong !! (I want to be wrong)
    so if there any one can help me with if there an international silat federation for all silat kinds and schools please tell me...
    you know ... I wonder how many silat styles there are ?? :)

2. tellner

tellner Valued Member

The Indonesian government has two, IPSI which is its national association and PERSILAT which is international.

3. Garuda

Garuda Valued Member

There is an international pencak silat federation. It is name is PERSILAT. Members of the persilat are the national pencak silat associations/federations for example IPSI of Indonesia, Pesaka of Malaysia, Persisi of SIngapore, Persib of Brunei (these in fact are the founding members of the Persilat). Next to the founding members many other pencak silat associations of countries are member like Thailand, Netherlands, Surinam, etc.

About the number of pencak silat styles I can not give a clear answer, because there are a lot of styles that are only practiced in a closed environment (e.g. only within a certain family which is kept secret). But years ago I think it was in 1988 I asked the Persilat questions about pencak silat and they send me the following estimations about the number of styles: Indonesia (800), Malaysia (100), Singapore (30), Brunei (25).

Garuda...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2006
  4. sharp KILL

sharp KILL New Member

how can they differ between them ?? :D :D
    you know .. I wasn't hoping for an answer to how many silat are ..
    ithought it impossible but you really impress me Garuda :D

is pencak a kind of silat ?? or is it the name of the federation ?? :confused:

thank you ... tellner ... Garuda for your illustration ..

5. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

pencak is a brand of silat.

6. RAMANA1

RAMANA1 New Member

international silat federation

stay away from international silat federation in usa..unless you want to part with lots of your $$$$$