Internal?

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by MD5, Feb 13, 2004.

1. MD5

MD5 New Member

Hello, I have been taking TKD for months, now I want to cross-train with some kind of internal art as well, can somebody give me some advice? Thank you!

2. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

Can't really be done, TKD is probably one of the most external MA's around. Now I'll take that back because I'm actually planning to take a few TKD lessons with my fiancee in the next couple of weeks (we were just talking about it).

Put it this way - by all means check out internal arts, but don't expect your internal training to benefit your TKD or vice versa (apart from general health).

3. MD5

MD5 New Member

I am more thinking about getting the internal martial art skill that I couldn't get in TKD... what style of Internal are you doing? What would you recommend?

4. nzric

If you're doing TKD you'd get a kick (ha ha... sorry) out of bagua. That's what I'm concentrating on right now so I'm biased, but it's based on spiralling movements and twisting/controlling body weight. Think of what TKD would look like if you were fighting someone in a phone box and you used your arms/hands instead of your legs.

In a nutshell, tai chi is the base and it's where the other arts are founded... all the internal principles can be found in tai chi. Bagua is known as the daughter of tai chi because it's athletic and based on spiralling movements (the art is practiced in a circle, and Hsing-i is known as the son of tai chi because the movements are very direct, based on straight lines (very similar to wing chun).

5. ranger

ranger New Member

try any internal art that NZRIC mentioned. i'm studying all three he mentioned but i won't comment about what i view of the arts (tai chi, hsing-I, Pa qua) becoz we've the same arts but totally different viewpoints :D don't belive him it that it won't benefit your TKD :D hehehe by the way, i also train in karate and they say its external right? :)

good day! :)

6. nzric

It would be a boring forum if we all agreed :D

7. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

depends lot on ur teacher... i hav continued Tai chi with TKD training... i never had probs with it
    moreover TKD can have internal aspects to it... just u need to widen ur prespective.
    i personally think an art is internal or external till u think in that sense...
    i would prefer that u should spend more time in MA get the basics from TKD n then move on to other arts... right now it would be more confusing for u to join TKD n Internal art(tai chi, bagua, Xsing Yi etc) as their basics can be quite confusing..
    -TkdWarrior-

8. MD5

MD5 New Member

I think I'll go for taichi but, I am more worrying about the TYPE of taichi... I saw alot of oldaged people doing it in the morning, is there one for teens?

9. ranger

ranger New Member

its for everybody. don't be deceived by what you see just because old aged people do it that its very easy to do. experience it you'll be suprise what a good exercise it is for the body.update us on your development ok? :)

10. nzric

There is no "old person's style" - it should really be the same moves done with a deeper posture, etc, for young people.

Chen is known as the "young person's taiji", but that's just because they have obvious fajing (explosive) movements and a very low stance. But then I do Yang style, which is supposed to be one of the softest, and the style I do has a lot of fajing. It's really up to the teacher.

11. MD5

MD5 New Member

So what is the difference between qigong, neigong, IM, jing & Taichi?

12. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

Qigong: A generalized term for exercises that utilize movement and/or breath to cultivate qi.

Neigong: Qigong that is performed using the awareness alone-- like a qigong meditation. Very powerful.

IM: Martial arts that utilize the principles of releasing the muscles and using subtle internal methods of delivering power and countering attack, as opposed purely muscular acts of force. Internal arts use jing as opposed to muscle, and relaxation as opposed to tenseness.

Jing: A kind of spiraling power that you generate deep within your root, send through your marrow, and utilize to create great force OR your essense/sperm.

Tai Chi: An internal martial art that includes qigong, sometimes neigong, and jing.

13. MD5

MD5 New Member

It is more like JingZi!:D

Ok last question(hopefully:p), can you really help people to heal from injury when you get to know how to controll Qi?

14. MD5

MD5 New Member

Last edited: Feb 20, 2004
  15. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

I can't say that I recommend learning tai chi from a book or video, but if you couldn't do it any other way, I would buy "Taijiquan, Classical Yang Style" both book and DVD by Yang Jwing Ming

16. MD5

MD5 New Member

Last edited: Feb 21, 2004