Internal power generation

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Simon, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

You can explain to others because you are all at the same level, talking same experence and references. You lack references , or language of explanation.

If your in college and a person in first grade want you to explain calculus to them, what do you tell them?

2. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

But "mind leads the body" is too slow.

Here is an example. One boxer challenged me. He moved in quickly and tried to knock my head off. Suddenly, he collapsed right under my knee with broken ribs. When he moved in, my front kick went to his chest without thinking. It was just a nature body reflex. If my kick had to take order from my mind, it would be too slow.

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

There's a lot of internal that has become external in this thread.
    At least that's what it smells like.

4. Lotus Flower

Lotus Flower Moved on Supporter

Try me.

Even if I don't understand there will be other before and after who will.

At least I'll have a starting point, or something I can discuss with my instructors.

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

This lotus flower has thorns. I like it.

6. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Agree! The "rhino guard" is a "forward" movement that you need to move in right after your opponent's 1st punch and before his 2nd punch.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjCswmlL_hA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjCswmlL_hA[/ame]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

So in other words there is nothing that needs to be done to harness it and it is all positive mindset?

So why bother with chi gung? Why "harness" chi? Or Gather it? or store it? Hell I know crackheads that are single minded - do they have chi?

Welcome to the can of worms....

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

That's still your mind though. Just the bit of your mind that you're not consciously aware of.
    When you drive you don't consciously change gear, steer, check mirrors, etc. But that doesn't mean your mind isn't involved.

9. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

A "fair idea" is miles ahead of any study into chi.

We know what pathologies can affect a person's ability to exercise conscious volition.

What parts of the brain can you remove without affecting levels of chi? Which organs or nerves?

To paraphrase my own instructor, I'll believe in chakras when I see one being plopped into a stainless steel kidney dish.

10. David Harrison

Actually, it does.

You are still using your brain, but your mind and your brain are not one and the same.

11. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Robinhood, may be you can explain it to me since I have over 60 years of Taiji training.

So how will you apply "internal" to strike a misquote with your hands that flies over your head?

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Indeed. And I'd argue that your mind and your conscious mind are not one and the same either. Your conscious mind is part of the totality of your mind but not the only part.
    People seem to be saying that because something happens without conscious thought or instruction the mind and brain aren't involved at all. Which I think is wrong (and veering far to close to the dreaded sakki test).

13. David Harrison

I think YouKnowWho was just saying that if you have to consciously think about things before you do them, they won't happen fast enough to successfully scrap with.

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I think both can apply. I've definitely landed techniques I previously thought about and planned or landed something after noticing a tendency and then exploiting that. Using my finking brain and every-fing.
    Obviously having stuff drilled to the point of being largely unconscious really helps that I also think reaching such a state helps inform the "thinking" part of fighting too.
    This is especially true of grappling where it's not all about unconscious thought but ongoing problem solving and problem creating.

15. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

Universally, is that some external sport fighting that you are referencing? , gladiator fighting is pure strong beats weak., all physical training and luck.

Like I said to the other guy, you need some references to talk about internal, you don't seem to have any references in internal, otherwise you could talk about it., can you separate any technique into external and internal application? , if you can't then you are only doing it one way and have always done it one way.

16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

If ever there's a sentence that shows you don't know what you're on about that's a pretty good candidate.

17. David Harrison

Yep, but, as you say, it only works once you have those reflexes drilled-in. Just like driving a car; you might vaguely direct your actions semi-consciously and be problem solving on several levels at once, but if you were to fully bring your conscious mind to micro-manage everything it would all fall apart.

First comes having to think about everything. The grinding gears of the beginner, always stalling because they had to think about more than one thing.

Then comes reflex. You've drilled to the point of your body reacting in an appropriate manner without you having to think about it.

Then comes response. You are able to "nudge" your autopilot and selectively engage conscious volition to bring about specific effects, rather than purely reflexive reactions.

That's how I see it, anyway.

18. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

What's the difference between a scholar and a MAist?

When a

- scholar take his test, he can start from the 1st question and reach to the 10th question. If he has problem with question 3, he can skip it, jump to question 4. After he has finished all the other 9 questions, he can come back to question 3.

- knife is stabbed toward a MAist's chest, he has only 1/4 second to respond. He doesn't have any time to think.

Most of the time in combat, your body is chasing your hand. Just because "speed" is important in MA and "internal" doesn't work well with "speed" (if all your body function have to be ordered by your mind), the combat value of "internal" is questionable.

19. David Harrison

Hello pot, meet kettle.

20. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

Since you don't seem to have and internal language, tell me what goes on in the process of clapping the bug, and I will see if it fits into my internal diagnosis.