Internal power generation

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Simon, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

He won't because he cant

2. The Iron Fist

The Iron Fist Banned Banned

I just heard that in the voice of Sandor. Creepy, my friend, but effective.

3. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

When the inside moves the outside is still, when the outside moves the inside is still, you can can refer to inside as internal and outside as external.

You can view it like a center with a shell, if the center is not still the outside will not rotate around it, if you have mush or no center their is nothing to turn on. It is like an egg, try to spin it when it is raw, then try it when it is hard boiled.

External is the shell, the inside is the core which needs to be solid, to make the core solid is where internal training comes in, it does not become solid from tightening up the outside.

People can do sets for 30 years and they will still be a hollow shell, getting the core does not come from external training.

4. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

If you have questions about what he is doing in videos, that would be a better approach.

Without seeing or touching your hands it makes it very difficult to know what you understand or don't understand.

5. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

Have you read any books on tai-chi?," tai -chi classics" would be a good start.

I did not make this stuff up, it works just like the classics say, it is to bad that most tai-chi has been replaced with forms that don't develop the part of tai-chi that makes it work.

6. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

Their are many things you can do, they need to be done properly to get proper results, I would say that is where the problem is, the proper way to do most of these things has been lost or not passed along.

7. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Okay then. Would you please define in exact physiological terms what mechanics/processes he is using (other than muscular strength, muscle recruitment patterns, proprioception, and technical mechanics) which you are referring to when you use the word "internal?"

I've had the pain and pleasure of crossing hands with tai chi guys who made wrestlers I'd faced look like they had no take down defence. I understand plenty.

8. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

Rubbish!

Using internal is not strictly for generating power or used that way, that is probably the least used benifit of internal, it does not take much power to hurt someone if you are good.

9. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

You left out intention and the mind ., ?

10. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

See the underlined portion and please answer the question

11. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

You didn't answer any of my questions with this response.Still awaiting an actual answer, but at this point not expecting it to happen.

These were my original questions.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  12. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

If you want a written explanation, I suggest you read a book like "tai-chi classics ", that will do better than me trying to use some unrelated term to explain what takes books to describe and many years to even understand if you are lucky., and then having a much less chance of even getting to the point of developing the ability to apply it in real time.

Good luck

13. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

The inside can be referred to as your mind, the outside is your body movements.

Have you ever read the book I mentioned?

14. aaradia

Translation "I can't back up anything I am saying with any actual details or substance."

You entered a discussion forum. Answering a question by refusing to answer or elaborate on your previous very vague statements except to say "go read a book" is not going to wash.

Do you really think this is working on any of us? :rolleyes:

15. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It's working INSIDE...we will probably be dead in 6 months from Dim Mak

16. aaradia

Well, at least that is one actual answer you have given. Define stillness in this context then please.

So, adding your answer to your previous statement..................

So saying "when the mind moves, the body should be still" works in meditation/ Qigong, but not the martial art of TCC. Unless one believes in magic chi blasts, which I don't.

And saying "when the body moves, the mind is still." Well, that would depend on your definition of stillness. Because I am taught that one should have mindfulness when moving. That your mind also should be integrated into the movements of TCC actions/ movements. (Or any other MA for that matter.)
    This is where your definition of stillness would come in handy.

Have read some books on TCC. Can't remember if I read that one. Probably not. Thing is, I find listening to my teachers in actual practice makes more sense to me in my training than most writings.

But that was awhile ago. I recently started re-reading "The Essence and Applications of Taijiquan" by Yang Chengfu. I'll see how that goes. Maybe I'll try others afterwards. The bulk of TCC understanding IMO should come from the practicing of it under the guidance of ones teachers.

One can read all they want, but still won't learn without practicing any MA. However, one can be illiterate and still learn a MA to high effectiveness.

Not saying it doesn't have any value, but the key is in the practicing and the teachings handed down IMO.

17. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

Sorry, I shortened it up to the basics, the videos should explain it more than a few words will, like I said before, it takes books to explain and then a teacher that can do it and explain it by touching your hands.

You back it up by touching hands, words can only try to explain what someone is feeling after being exposed to the experence., and it will still not be enough.

You should read and have a teacher, then the books should confirm what your teacher is saying and vice versa. ., then you will have questions and your teacher should have answers.

18. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

It works in practice, but you have to develop it, it is the internal part, find a teacher who understands it and can do it first.

19. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

No, I have a voodoo doll for you.....;)

20. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

So I'm going to throw in something more descriptive than generating torque internally. I'm going to say that internal torque can be developed through plyometric training.

So basically, internal power can be developed through plyometrics. Now of course it is much more complex than just doing exercises, there are other factors including intent that come into play. However, I'm feeling a bit rebellious and so I'm posting in this thread some radical stuff.

I'll even go so far to say that Tai Chi forms should be the equivalent of aquatic plyometrics for power generation.

What's next, zero gravity wrestling? You there YKW?