internal/external silat styles

Discussion in 'Silat' started by onebir, Dec 17, 2004.

1. onebir

onebir Valued Member

I know the distinction is blurry, but where do people think the silat styles they've come across fall on the spectrum?

2. Wali

Wali Valued Member

It all depends on what your definition of Internal and External is.

3. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

I would agree with wali, but at the same time say Cimande is both, but in the Truest sence it would require more internal to develop external....does that make sense??

4. Wali

Wali Valued Member

That's what I mean.. in Silat there isn't a distinction, as it should be both. Hard to understand if you dont practice it.

5. Smee

Smee Evil kung fu genius

same as kung fu styles - they tend to be classed as internal OR external. This is fundamentally wrong IMO. They are always a blend of both and the make up of that blend may/will change over the course of the student's studies.

I imagine the same applies to Silat.

Paul

6. onebir

onebir Valued Member

I agree that thinking of int/external as strict classifications is simplistic; thinking of these as a spectrum is probably more useful. Characteristics of internal styles might be:
    - use of v low speed training techniques
    - stress on physical alignment
    - stress on physical/mental relaxation

So what I was trying to get at - knowing basically nothing about silat- was whether some silat styles are more like this than others.

This is the quote that prompted the question:

"A great deal of what we do can be practiced almost anywhere as solo activity. These develop muscle memory, correct body mechanics, strength, breathing, and visualization skills. Our class environment is somewhat academic. We focus on the understanding of movement and development of muscle memory first, and develop sensory training separately. For this reason, and because our techniques can be very dangerous, we do not spar. The degree of physical exertion varies based on the goals and capability of each individual. Our classes do not demand high physical exertion, which makes us ideal for middle-aged or elderly people. In fact, we believe that this is an art that will grow with you as you age." (from: http://www.stillnessinmotion.com/glossary.shtml#Pentjak)

Sounds a lot like tai chi to me...

Also, this PhD thesis:
    "The Politics of Inner Power: The Practice of Pencak Silat in West Java" by Ian Wilson
    (http://wwwlib.murdoch.edu.au/search then search for silat)

see esp ch 4, which documents "inner power" (ie qi) practices of several styles. (Notwithstanding the fact that otherwise external styles often have 'bolted on' qi practices...)

Any thoughts about how silat styles might fit on a internal-external scale?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2004