Internal Arts...

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by TkdWarrior, Oct 12, 2002.

1. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

Hi Simon

On Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays I think its a spooky esoteric energy. The rest of the week I think its a metaphor for good use of bodyweight, correct joint alignment and synergistic use of muscles. In other words I don't know. In fact, the more I learn the less sure I am about it (or anything else to be honest).

I find the most workable description that I use in my practice as a shiatsu practitioner is that it is the conscious or unconscious awareness and occupation of the different parts of your own body. You know the saying that the mind leads the qi? Areas where there is excessive attention have too much energy (eg. the shoulders). Where there is insufficient attention has too little (often the lumbar region). For the purposes of shiatsu this is an understanding that my clients and myself can relate to.

Mike

2. slc

slc Banned Banned

Thanks Guys

A tricky subject!

Simon

3. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

as such i m very sceptic about the way chinese mystics explain about chi flow... ;) :D
    but i well tell u according to Prana(which is relatively closed to chi) in India prana is basically meant as "life giving breath", one's breath should be smooth n with continous flow, any jerks or any disturbation in breath is not considered as good prana value...
    so i guess this sums up in not too much detail for me...
    -TkdWarrior-

4. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

I go for the good biomechanics theory, since you can see and analyze good biomechanics, and the 'chi' tricks match up quite nicely with good body movement.

5. touchstone_snap

touchstone_snap New Member

whats chi...

I never did like the mystical side of chi...

I personally don't belive in that side of things...

Then again if u r talking about the energy that moves our body then yeah sure it makes sense...

I think an important difference between internal arts and external arts is that the internal arts have the mind the lead the body ie the mind leads the chi which leads the li or strength...

An external style does'nt place this emphasis on the mind leading the body... not to say that they don't place emphasis on using your mind just not in the same way... y otherwise spend so much time training to make the body strong and athlettic...

Its true that what the brain says the body does so it kinda makes sense to train to establish a good mind body connection so that u can do what u want to more smoothly and relaxed than u could previously... if u have your breath co ordinated with your movement then u must b doing something right... just look to wieght lifters or body builders...

Another aspect is good body balance the term for the bodys center of balance called the dan tien nothing really mystical about that... if u can hit off and move your body from a position of balance that gives advantages when close in on an opponent and he is trying to grab and pull or throw u...

In my opinion its the training of mind to use the body most effectively with good body mechanics... something u can feel that explains what chi is... is your body in balance ...? moving smoothly...? & is your breath related to your movement...? so to a certian extent I have to agree with Tkd Warrior...

Good training...:)

6. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

good post touchstone :)
    i relate chi as a breath cause it comes closer to as ppl define...
    -TkdWarrior-

7. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Oh boy, am I going to have fun with this forum...

8. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

seems like u r having fun already :)
    -TkdWarrior-

9. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

The most effective internal arts actually come from Mexico, not China.

The power is harnessed within the body through the mass consumption of Chilli-cheese burritos available at Taco Bell.

This method will allow you to produce a "chi-explosion" capable of knocking out anyone with a 50 ft radius.

10. Knight_Errant

I may be slow, but I think the above is a joke...?

11. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Ya think?

12. Knight_Errant

Well, it made me laugh, but so did a lot of the other stuff here...

13. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

lmao...
    coming to think of it. Andrew doens't fool around much :D
    -TkdWarrior-