Internal Arts in TKD ?

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Mr. Jones, Dec 13, 2003.

1. alienlovechild

alienlovechild Valued Member

Hey Leo,
    Have you come across that, somehow who modified their TKD?

2. daftyman

daftyman A 4oz can of whoop-ass!

I recently had the very good fortune to speak to a high level karateka from the Shotokan school.

Kanazawa trained in taiji, and while he does not advocate trying to mix the two too closely, there are aspects that can help the other art.

Karate practice can give some taiji players some martial spirit, mental fortitude, etc.

Taiji can give the karateka help to relax into his/her strikes and genereate more power, improve balance (both physical and mental)

So while the arts never truly cross over, some of the principles, philosophy etc, does.

3. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

That's how my teacher sees it too VR to some extent. The blend of japanese discipline/spirit and creativeness of chinese arts is a good one.

That's not to say you can't find one in the other etc. but on the surface it seems that a distinction can be drawn due to were the more emphasis is placed within the two.

For example I think that my practicing of japanese swordsmanship has enhanced my taiji. And my taiji has enhanced my kenjutsu/iaido. In a way that would perhaps be different if I'd have been doing taiji sword..

He also likes/teaches kickboxing!

Last edited: May 10, 2005
  4. Dr.Beijing

Dr.Beijing New Member

TKD, then Qi Gong

I'm a beginner at both TKD and Qi Gong, 1st Dan in TKD, practiced Qi Gong for 5 years and yes TKD is almost completely sport oriented but I think that the divide of internal/external fades as you advance in the arts themselves and that some of these distinctions are really just mind games. I've never thought of meditation as a mind exercise quite the opposite it's quieting the mind and letting the greater "mind" beyond the ego work. There are countless many ways to reach that state its not the domain of any one discipline. I have reached states of meditation while washing dishes that seemed a lot more authentic and beneficial to me than when paying 250 bucks for a Qi Gong retreat and getting stuck with my own expectation and a sense of frustration. So I dont believe any one style or art has a monopoly on meditation and moving the Qi, there are many different paths to the source. I have seen a lot of hucksters in both external and internal who are really just after your money or just want to set themselves up as a demi-god, so trust your own path. :eek:

5. karate P.belt 2

karate P.belt 2 New Member

or not I don't know about you but I can hop on one foot I can move as my foot comes down maybe you just don't know the simple art of balance

6. Durkhrod Chogori

Durkhrod Chogori Valued Member

Mr. Jones,

May I ask you something?

What has your thread to do with IMA?

Why don't you ask this question in the TKD section?

Cheers.