Interesting Koryu Video* Jigen ryu

Discussion in 'Koryu Bujutsu' started by iB1337, Aug 15, 2009.

1. iB1337

iB1337 Valued Member

Jigen ryu is supposedly known for its strong first strike. Also for being strong warriors, but some of it seems to be about intimidating your opponet with kiai. Also some of the techniques seem to be more useful with a fan.

I never know what to make of Jigen ryu. It's really good or really strange or both. It reminds me of a old teacher telling a student that he is wrong.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnLNExI_uK4"]YouTube - Jigen Ryu Heiho Kenjutsu - 32nd Nippon Kobudo Enbu[/ame]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  2. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

High pitched men in skirts ..

Smurf:)

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Hardcore tough, High pitched men in keikogi.

A great find!

4. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

I know I have said it before guys, but place a shinken in their hand and let them loose on an enemy and the funny factor goes right down to zero. A lot of the training there is rather psychological.

Have a look for Yakumaru Jigen-ryu as well. They use nodachi and their training methods are similar, but slightly different. Lots of running and multiple enemy engagement drills.

5. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

I love this video:[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfAaAdzmF7o"]Togo Jigen-ryu[/ame]

I think Steve summed my feelings up about Jigen-ryu. They might be worth a snigger or two when you watch them on video, especially when we don't understand the riai behind their waza - but I certainly wouldn't enjoy the thought of taryujiai with them too much.

Quite an inspiring ryuha, in my opinion.

6. iB1337

iB1337 Valued Member

It's something. Jigen ryu teaches or expects everyone to do about 5000 cuts a day.
    You can't help but become stronger as a result.

7. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

I'm thinking about getting a tategi/yokogi and joining in. Would really upset the neighbours.

8. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Actually quite a few of the no longer extant kenjutsu & iaijutsu ryuha used to use tategi and iaidai. It was quite a common thing to have some sort of resistance training.

Scott, are you going to do tategi keiko in your garden in fundoshi, with the Jigen-ryu kakegoe? Your neighbours are going to absolutely love you. :evil: