Interesting Jurus clips

Discussion in 'Silat' started by SilatSeeker, Apr 24, 2006.

1. SilatSeeker

SilatSeeker Valued Member

Performed much like Hsing-i

http://www.nampon.com/

go to the Juru's link on the left - then when the options pop up, go down to Jurus again. There are 10 vid clips.

2. Buddy

Buddy Valued Member

Not to my eye. More like Goju or Uechi.

3. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

interesting indeed :)

4. SilatSeeker

SilatSeeker Valued Member

Buddy, for clarrrrifimacation, (my attempt at a drunk slur) my comparison came from the single juru performed repetitively in a series of linear steps. Further, compared with many silat jurus, these are very "simple" movement sequences. That's where I saw the comminality and that's where it ended. Lest you think I'm suffering from a severe case of Mental Delusion - I'm not saying this guy compares to Luo Dexiu or Tim Cartmel performing XY. :)

By contrast, the body method isn't even in the park. These would appear to be done with maximum tension - not sung. Which is where you may have saw the Karate comparison?

I'd love someone who can read Indonesian to let us know if these are combat jurus, tenagalem or what?

What do I know - my silat system doesn't have jurus.

5. Wali

Wali Valued Member

I recognise the style of movement. These aren't physical jurus with a physical martial application. They are internal "Rexa Diri" or distance power jurus. They are traditionally broken down into 10 movements, each aimed at attacking different parts of the body.

They are done with intense breath control, and a very high level of intent. They are normally done with a prayer. Although I can't read Indonesian, the background pics of a man flying backwards would seem to support my claim.

People need to beware of these types of techniques, which although at the highest levels, it is possible, there are MANY MANY con artists out there ripping people off.

The movements in themselves have no physical, practical martial applications.

Perhaps any of our Indonesian reading friends can translate for us, or at least tell us what the gist of the site is.

6. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

Just click on others, then questions and answers in the menu :) It's in English.

Make your own minds up ;)

7. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

It looks very Chinese in flavour. Lots of use of breathing, focused intention and contact with earth through mud step.
    The last two in the question and answer basically sum up the art.
    The person has to attack with serious intention for it to work. Seams like the theory is to detect the attacker’s energy and strike it with yours just before it issues or at the same time to generate repulsion between the two forces, thus the person is thrown back.
    Also it seams like they don’t believe in using energy from the environment or anything outside the human body, animals, prana, elements etc as they view it as unholy. I don’t see how utilising prana from the air we breathe in to our bodies from outside could be considered unholy though.

8. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

From watching the 10 Jurus and reading the commentary on each, the Jurus each have 4 meanings 1 a philosophy behind it 2 a physical attack 3 an internal strike 4 a health benefit to the practitioner.

Jurus 1-10

Hiji: To strike chest, heart, lungs

Dua Jeublag: To grip and strike to shoulders/sides of body

Dua Teundeud: Strike legs

Tilu/Tarik: To pull head down to meet/hit knee

Opat Liwat: To grab arm and strike upper body with opposite elbow/ forearm to shoot opponent

Opat Tomplok: To throw opponent by striking chest and lower body together

Opat Gileus: Right = strike to throat/heart & stomach. Left = strike Stomach/kidney.

Opat Colok: To strike the throat.

Opat Potong: To grab wrist and break arm.

Lima/Penutup: To Block both arms outward to open centre and strike middle of opponent

9. Buddy

Buddy Valued Member

SS,
    I got your intention, and I see similar things in kuntao or five ancestor style. The body method is what defines IMA more than practice methods. I wish I could publish what I have of Luo going Xingyi. I'll look for something somewhat comperable.
    <edit>
    Here is a link:
    http://www.emptyflower.com/video.html
    The top 7 are my grand teacher Zhang Zhunfeng doing xingyiquan and baguazhang straight line material.
    The bottom one on the left (the stout fellow) is Luo's teacher Hong Yixiang. Please note that neither is showing the body method to any great degree. You simply didn't allow anything real on film back then. But, the best I can find on short notice.
    Buddy

Last edited: Apr 25, 2006
  10. bradlee

bradlee New Member

Hallo All,

This is my first Post. Nice to meet you and write here. I'm Indonesian, but now studying in Germany. I'll try to explain what Nampon is, but please excuse my English. Since I'm studying and living here in Germany, i've "forgotten" how to write and speak in English :D

I was lived near one of Paguron (Paguron = School, it's sundanese Language, a West Javanese Language) Nampon. Nampon is the name of the Founder, Uwa Nampon. (Uwa mean elder Uncle). So Paguron Pencak Silat Nampon means, Pencak Silat's School of Nampon.

Basically, Jurus in Nampon taken from old style like Cimande, Cikalong, Kari, Madi dan Sahbandar. But, personally... it's not true that Uwa Nampon had directly learned Cimande from Abah Khaer. (Abah Khaer died in 1825, that's not possible in any ways Uwa Nampon learned Cimande directly from Abah Khaer, Uwa Nampon was born in 1888. For story about Maenpo, i've written in http://www.kaskus.com/showthread.php?t=293945 but that's in Indonesian Language, i'll try to write here in English next time).

Now, i'm confused what i've to write and explain here :bang:
    Oh my English, i feel like i'm an alien here :Alien:
    Many to say, but stuck with my English. Mas Kiai Carita, please help me :D

Next time... next time... next time... :)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2006
  11. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

Hi Bradlee

It may be easier for you to write what you want to say in Indonesian first and then copy and paste it into a translator and have it translated into English, its a lot faster. It’s not perfect but you can then make minor alterations after the bulk of it is in English

Also those of you who want to read something Indonesian can do the same.
    I found a free translator at:

http://www.toggletext.com/kataku_trial.php

;)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2006
  12. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

Wali,

When you say “Rexa Diri” do you mean Reksa Diri, as in Mount Reksa muka?
    There is a legend that Guru Durna sent Bima (Satria Warrior) to a forest on Mount Reksa muka in search of knowledge and a holy water.

13. Wali

Wali Valued Member

Hi Narrue,

Yes, Reksa Diri... I have never had to write it down before...

14. Orang Jawa

Orang Jawa The Padi Tribe-Guardian

Selamat Bradley,
    I would agree with wholeheartly. I was kind of suprise when someone wrote that Uwa Nampon was a guru at Cikalong perguruan. Historically, Cikalong is a very strick and close to the outside perguruan, a family system say to speak. The elite (tittle Raden) and if you are not related to one of the insider and must be approved by the elder of the perguruan, you can't get in.
    I have a question to you and wali, is this still the case?
    I'm rather confused lately when people freely claimed that his style have Cikalong origins....
    Time has change?
    Tristan

15. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

Ok so its Reksa, interesting because in legend Bima was a great warrior and was particularly skilled in such arts, he was Sakti (had non physical ability’s).

Bima was also a great Empu and on Mount Lawu in central Java there is an ancient stone carved depiction of Bima forging a magical keris under the guidance of a god, perhaps Ganesha or Indera.

16. bradlee

bradlee New Member

Yes, time has change... but not so radically. In many case it's still "closed" to outsiders. People can freely claimed that they have Cikalong in them, but the Cikalong Elders or other practioner can easilly know whether it's true or not.
    Also Cikalong Elders doesn't like controversy. They don't give licensed / certified too, they don't need to do that. You know what i mean, don't you? :eek:

@Narrue, thank you so much. Actually, i used to speak English. But now, i'm a little bit confused while i've been studying here using Germany, and for 2 years i haven't write or speak English, But i think, it will come soon. :p

17. Orang Jawa

Orang Jawa The Padi Tribe-Guardian

Thanks Bradlee,
    Kumaha damang?
    I do understand. In my own experience, I have never heard a title of Pendekar, Guru and let alone Mahaguru be use in Cikalong.
    Tristan

18. Wali

Wali Valued Member

While I don't practice Cikalong, I have heard a little about it.

My understanding is that it was developed to counteract Cimande. Cimande by nature had a lethal and devastating arms conditioning and strikes. People just couldn't match the awesome striking with the arms and hands that Cimande had. Then, Cikalong was developed (from a Cimande base I believe, again, this is just how I heard the story), which was an open hand system, making use of slaps, and strikes that were aimed at gouging, slapping, flicking, etc... in essence, a more "less direct" system.

I don't know if people claims are true, as to their art originating from Cikalong. All sorts of claims are made these days...

I 100% agree that many of the original systems were family styles, which were very, very rarely taught outside of the family sassaran, if at all.

19. bradlee

bradlee New Member

Wali, i have to tell a little bit story about Maenpo Cikalong. A Grand Father from H. Ibrahim (H. Ibrahim is a founder of Maenpo Cikalong) is a student of Abah Khaer as a founder of Maenpo Cimande. Before H. Ibrahim found Maenpo Cikalong, the family learned Cimande.

After H. Ibrahim mastered Cimande from his family and also from his first cousin (Rd. Ateng Alimudin), then he learned to Abang Ma'ruf in Jakarta (was Batavia), then to Bang Madi and last to Bang Kari. From this all 4 Guru, he built his own style and call it Maenpo Cikalong. Cikalong is the name of village where he lived. So Cikalong doesn't means "Bat Style". That's totally wrong, although it's true that "Kalong" in English is Bat.

But i really disagree about "Cikalong as a counteract to Cimande". As i mentioned before, Cikalong was born after H. Ibrahim learned 4 style. From his experience, he developed a new style that he thought accomodate all style that he had learned, to take a strong point and leaved weakness point. Cikalong has its self "lethal and devistating arms conditioning and strike". It named "Peupeuhan" (Maenpo Peupeuhan Cikalong = a punches style of Cikalong). Cikalong has 4 style of Fighting (1. Maenpo Peupeuhan = to strike with devastating punches and strike, 2. Maenpo Napel = to Touch and feeling, 3. Maenpo Puhu = to read opponent move and source of power in strike, 4. Maenpo Tangtung = style that explorate Stance of opponent). I hope it clear enough. :)

20. Wali

Wali Valued Member

Like I said my friend, just a story I heard. You seem to have a more definitive version, so I'll take your story on board and do some additional input.

Welcome to MAP!