Inter-Gender mma fight

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Dan Bian, Nov 4, 2021.

1. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

I came across this fight from a few nights ago in Poland.

What are peoples thoughts?

I'm not too sure what I think about the inter-gender concept.. I can see both sides of the arguement.

In terms of the fight itself, neither fighter looks particularly skilled to my eye.

2. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Wait...isn't that just called marriage, with one big difference, in marriage, the man ALWAYS loses :D

Sorry, could not resist, I'll go now

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I really think some "men" (or at least some types of men...you know the type) engage in a kind of reflected glory just by dint of being in the "men" category.
    I think we can all agree that men are generally stronger, faster and bigger than women and this can give them an advantage in sports. The strongest man is stronger than the strongest woman.
    But because of that general trend I think some men think they are in the same category as an Eddie Hall or an Usain Bolt or an Israel Adesanya when really they are unfit, sit down all day and would pull a hamstring running for a bus let alone doing a sport to any degree (I put myself in this category too).
    And a woman who can actually do that particular sport would smoke them in short order.
    So many men think they'd give Serena Williams a run for her money just because they are men and she's a woman. If they just practiced a bit more with a racquet. And because they can't (or won't) comprehend the gulf in ability between them. And also because the top male players would beat Serena Williams and they identify more with them than they do with all the ordinary useless people.
    But then again in a recent survey 6% of Americans think they could beat a Grizzly bear in a fight and 17% think they can beat a chimpanzee so being delusional seems pretty common.

ned, Dan Bian, Grond and 4 others like this.
  4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Good lord that video has some horrific skill levels on display.

aaradia, axelb and Dan Bian like this.
  5. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I found better clips from this and the other intergender fight on twitter.

Both display very low level skill, all fighters look like they have had barely a few years training. I am not sure if there is even a weight category going on, it seems very loose.
    A really awful idea for a fight/promotion.

People who don't train in martial arts have no clue what their are NOT capable of, they see videos of other trained men and think they could do it without even knowing what that persons has gone through for years/decades.

It does not surprise me at all that people think they could beat a grizzly bear or chimpanzee in a fight. They probably also think they could score a penalty at championship level with nothing more that the occasional training session and hours or TV practise.

Dan Bian, aaradia and Mitch like this.
  6. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

That's because most people don't spend enough time outdoors. I'll pop them all day with a 22 but sure as the sun rises I wouldn't want to fight anything even as small as a squirrel. Animals are meaner than most people think.

Grond likes this.
  7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Mr Jones is in court for wife beating.

Mr Jones is it true you beat your wife.

Yes My Lord, it is.

How do you beat your wife, Mr Jones?

Superior footwork, Sir.

I'll get my coat.

SWC Sifu Ben, Mitch and Grond like this.
  8. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Amen to that.

9. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Here's how I feel about this. First that video is not very good.

Secondly, whether or not men are "stronger" on average than women makes little difference. I know this because I have boxed intergender my whole life and let me tell you, every woman who sincerely took up boxing would smoke a lot of men, whether they trained or not, because women with training and intensity are a force to be feared.

The most dangerous of those are the moms, because show me the man who has pushed a person outside of themselves, with all that blood and pain, and then still had the courage to raise a child. Those women who choose pugilism but also stick with it have got to be some of the toughest humans on earth.

And for every one of them, there have got to be a million scrawny little wimps online talking about male superiority in combat. What a gas. Do us all a favor and join a boxing gym and spar with the women and report back here with your broken ego.

aaradia and Mitch like this.
  10. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Smitfire, that is a brilliant post. All I could think of when I read this is that a perfect example of what you talk about would be the famous tennis match between Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs.

For those to young to know about it, it was an important part of women's history in sports. I was really into tennis as a child, and Billie Jean King was my favorite player. I got to see some live matches with my dad featuring many of the top players at the time.

Billie Jean King triumphs in “Battle of the Sexes"

Battle of the Sexes | History, Participants, & Facts

axelb and Grond like this.
  11. aaradia

I also have to say that I find it disappointing that so many men here find a joke about wife beating funny. It shows me that issues of violence against women are very deeply ingrained in our society indeed. :(

This isn't the first time this has happened on MAP fairly recently either.

A play on domestic violence vs the subject of violence in a sport. One is mutually agreed upon, the other is a serious widespread issue.

Violence against women

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
    Dan Bian and Grond like this.
  12. Grond

Grond Valued Member

To be fair, that was really just a parody of the colloquial loaded question example "do you still beat your wife". It wasn't so much a joke about domestic abuse, but of argument style, particularly in a legal context. But I get your point.

13. aaradia

Yeah, that was the argument last time this popped up on MAP too. More or less, why can't women take a joke? I get some here won't see it. I am sure the ones making it and laughing about it don't see it either. I am asking the men on here to step back and really think more deeply about jokes like this and their effects on society.

The point is, it is so deeply ingrained that otherwise supportive men can't see how normalized it is in society that jokes like this even exist. You, as a male, separate it. I, as a female, have a different perspective.

This is what people battle with similar situations with institutionalized racism deal with as well.

Only when we weed out the institutionalized acceptance ingrained in our society, will we get effective change.

I want MAP to be a place where female martial artists feel welcome. Jokes like this not being called out will IMO discourage female participation. I will speak up on it whenever it shows up here or anywhere else for that matter.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
    Dan Bian likes this.
  14. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

It's a joke for Christ's sake.

Do some people just look to be offended.

It's the same with Hannibal's use of the "nothing mysterious" wording in the slap video.

It meant there is nothing mysterious, not "your art has mysterious nonsense".

Yes we need to be careful what we promote in these modern times, but really?

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Honestly I'm with aaradia on this one. When I read that "joke" I did a double take, had to check who had posted it and was quite surprised it was you as normally you're very sensitive about such matters.
    It seems at odds with the stance and post you made about the sexual objectification of women in the "marvel meme" post for example.
    It's the kind of joke I'd maybe have told in my younger days but not anymore and I can see why it would rub a woman up the wrong way.

16. Grond

Grond Valued Member

But you're calling out irony. That's not a great game plan, in my experience. The joke doesn't make light of domestic abuse, it actually benefits women's domestic rights by destroying the rhetoric of men. Think about it a while longer, and it'll come to you. This little tidbit of wisdom is a staple of the finest legal instructional institutions for a very good reason.

17. ned

ned Valued Member

Some practical instruction for ursine combat...
    Funny Pictures of The Day _ 36 Pics - Funoramic.jpg

Mitch and David Harrison like this.
  18. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Aaradia's point, which she has made before, is that it doesn't matter. Anything that makes light of domestic abuse is harmful, no matter what the context.

In the same way you wouldn't countenance an ironically racist joke, should we accept irony about violence towards women? I can see Aaradia's point, especially on a forum that declares itself family friendly, and so is supposed to be just as welcoming to teenage girls as middle aged men.

aaradia and Dan Bian like this.
  19. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

I was also surprised to see that joke.

I don't know the figures (if there are any) of how many domestic abuse victims may turn to martial arts, whether for self defence, self confidence etc
    But here we have a thread, which I had hoped would serve as a discussion regarding intergender martial competition. And to anyone reading, rather than discussing the topic at hand, we have a joke about "how to [pysically] beat your spouse".
    Imagine being a domestic abuse survivor looking to get involved in martial arts, finding this thread about male vs female in sport, being turned into a quick gag. Would that person feel comfortable joining? Might it even put then off trying classes, worrying that this is how they will be met in person?

Could you possibly be more patronising?

aaradia, Travess and David Harrison like this.
  20. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Getting back on topic, even if there are weight classes there will be differences in proportion of muscle mass and bone density. Could it be enough to put the women at more risk of serious injury, particularly skull fractures and brain injury?

It's much harder for women to get fights, as there are fewer women competing, so I should imagine they are likely to take fights against men because there aren't enough women to fight, rather than because they particularly want to fight men.

Fighters need to unionise!