Intensive training experiences?

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by nzric, Nov 27, 2003.

1. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

The classics (and probably your teacher) say you should practice three times a day, and run through forms at least three times each time you do it, as well as combining all that with the right amount of qigong, learning new forms, and practicing applications and maybe weapons.

Well we can't do that and still earn money and function in the world, but have you had a long period of intensive training?

What has been the longest/most intense time you have had training, and what insights into the art (or yourself) did you get out of it?

2. ns_oni

ns_oni Valued Member

I train on and off during the day. I think you can achieve alot of things through intensive training and meditation, you also look great at the end of it :p I sometimes do long runs of sword forms, some i made myself. I also do things like pushups/situps until i cant do anymore. Gives you alot of satisfaction in the end. Why do you ask?

3. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

I'm very busy at the moment - I work full time, study part time, take care of a website and I try to fit the gym and tai chi (and a life!) in, all in different parts of Sydney. It's a shame but often, my taiji and bagua suffer for that.

I just wanted to hear from some people who had experiences of training intensively, and what they got out of it in terms of improving skills or something else, as it's something I'd like to do in the future.

4. Shaolin Dragon

Shaolin Dragon Born again martial artist

When I was in sixth form at school (16-17) I would train every morning before I went to school, take lessons three times a week, go to the gym three times a week;

then I turned 18, and discovered beer, women and beer.

5. Shaolin Dragon

Shaolin Dragon Born again martial artist

I repent the error of my ways.

Where before there was beer, women and beer, now there is just beer and woman.

I work full time; I go to classes three times a week, go to the gym occasionally and train at home when I have the energy and time.

But in terms of the difference in fitness, I'm not even close to how fit I was at 16, but am getting there.

6. Van_the_cookie_man

Van_the_cookie_man New Member

My most intensive training was more in physical conditioning than in martial arts. It was a while back doing hundreds of pushups and sit ups a day (sets). Two hours of cardio. And one hour of MA training. every day of the week. Now I discovered four hours of homework daily. Look forward to next summer break. I plan to spend about 3+ hours of MA training a day.

This went on for several months. I would of enjoyed continuing it but stopped due to homework.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2003
  7. totality

totality New Member

hear hear for summer break and no more homework :D

3+ hours a day sounds good...how dare you remind me!!! hatred. oh well.

8. bajiman

bajiman New Member

Hardest ever had: Three weeks (22 days) no break, just training 6-8 hours a day.

Back in Europe....I do work......Well, too much work.......Carreer U know......

Every half year we have a training wekk....10 days of training 5-7 hours a day......

This does fine........really fine....

But while being a "normal" worker, it hard to get this much training as I'd love to have........

Nice to hear im not the only one who has too little training