Integrity in Ninjutsu

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Please reality, Dec 28, 2015.

1. bujingodai

bujingodai Retired Supporter

I can't disagree with that. I am glad there is at least 1 student in the Bujinkan that is doing it right.

LOL. Just a poke I haven't argued with you in a long time. I respect very much what you have to say. You live at and train at the source. So you would be getting the most that there is to offer and no doubts have forged the appropriate relationships. Some of us did not unfortunately

I immersed myself as much as possible with the culture. Even now that I have stopped doing anything. I still learn as much I can about the Japanese as my trip there influenced many facets of my life.

2. Big Will

Big Will NinpƓ Ikkan

I understand your feelings, but it's kind of like you are expecting rain and snow to be the same, because they are both water. Yes, there is a ranking system in the Bujinkan. But no, it's not an indicator of skill. I realised and understood this concept after just a few months of training, and I don't think it's too hard to grasp. The difficulty arises if you are already high ranked and are suddenly told that your rank is not equal to your skill at all. That can hurt the ego quite a lot.

What I've learned from my teacher, is that transmission can occur at any unexpected moment. And roses grow from dirt.

So you were sad because people on an internet forum made some comments? To be honest, if you can't even take that, how would you expect to deal with the intricacies of developing a master-disciple relationship with someone? How would you expect to sit patiently outside in the cold until the master finally opens the door and invites you in? It seems like you turned and walked away even before the master knew you were outside.

3. gtlaau

gtlaau Valued Member

This is Gold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. bujingodai

Wow you managed to root out a lot from my comments. Might you be a lawyer?
    I am sorry if my supply of Kool Aid ran out. I do believe Hatsumi is fallable and responsible to a degree,
    When some see something from him to critique I don't feel that it is because we don't understand the movement, sometimes crap is crap on a crap day. It seems to understand this art. You must be mystrical in your approach and understanding.
    That only those who are in the mindset will ever "get it"
    That a 8th dan with less skills than a kyu is acceptable.

It is good that I left, with the little amount of skill I have and my level of misunderstanding coupled with free thought. I would have never made a success in the Kan. Unlike so many Shihan who though a member can not be assured of having any skill.

It is a very powerful organization that keeps people confused. Make it like a mushroom. Keep it in the dark and feed it manure.

My ego is not the issue mate. However maybe some people perception of reality may be.

5. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

Testy, testy. Your ego not so much, your taijutsu definitely was(as you yourself admit). It is okay, you're gone now so let it rest.

Hatsumi sensei isn't fallible and yes, he makes mistakes like the rest of us. I don't think there is any need to make everything he does look like it was on purpose, or somehow better than doing it right. Your understanding was at fault if you think the Shihan doesn't have any skill. Westerners calling themselves by that title don't count.

Whatever one thinks of BBT, the ryu that make up the Takamatsuden are effective bastions of fighting skills. Having said that, most people in the Bujinkan at least, haven't learned these skills or these arts properly. However, most that are vocal about their practice aren't vocal about taking responsibility for and fixing this fact. They would rather bask in their notoriety and make things up.

It takes integrity to man up and face your own issues, be they of the body, mind, or spirit. Harping about the past, making disparaging remarks about an art you no longer study, or making allusions of manure don't really live up to the integrity you demonstrated when you left.

But Happy New Year anyway.

6. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

On a tangential note I'm interested in your experience outside of the BJK and to what extent you have tested your physical combative abilities.

7. bujingodai

I did not say or intend to come across that the Shihan didn't have any skill.
    I had eluded that, if a Shihan was of lower skill than a kyu.... I would think there is a problem.
    As for my own skills. It is, in appropriate terms to be most critical of ones skills. To a degree, I was probably hardest on my own of course.
    The majority of people I matted with in Japan, Gaijin anyway were not of equal to my skill level. One reason I left, but nothing I would cite as not to be arrogant. However my Taijustu, is not the issue in this conversation.

But yes I am gone now. I had not intention to be testy. If I came across that way. When I see people speaking with blindfolds on, I get that way.

8. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

Of course I've never trained outside of the Booj and never competed or fought, that goes against having a good heart...

Or, I studied TKD as a boy, did some kempo and point sparring before realising that ninjutsu was the best art out there.

Is that what you wanted to hear?

Anyway, it's been discussed before. More than some, less than others.

9. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Yeah, whatever.

10. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

May I remind people that this forum is still on a zero tolerance watch. Keep it civil and on topic or I will hand out bans. Thank you.

11. Pankeeki

Pankeeki Valued Member

12. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

13. gapjumper

Say what?! That's a very confusing post.

I thought you managed arrogant with the first sentence, no? And you did cite it!

Maybe it just looked that way to my unskilled eyes.

14. bujingodai

As stated, I wouldn't have cited that as a reason for leaving. However prompted to give something. I was concerned that it was apparent, there was a lack of skill by those who were much higher in rank. IMO. Not being arrogant, just inconsistant QA I was concerned with. My opinion only and my choice.

15. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I can see where he is coming from.

When you find yourself surrounded by a load of people who are supposed to be your senior it comes as a shock when they make you look good.

It's not arrogance, it's actually due to an appreciation of your own suckiness.

16. gapjumper

Possibly.

Or could be an over-estimation of one's own ability.

17. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Na can't be.

That'd never happen in the Buj....

:whistle:

18. bujingodai

Well, I guess I just got lost in my own argument.
    Happens.

19. garth

garth Valued Member

bujingodai posted

Not everyone mate. Whilst I agree that there are a majority that might not be worth the higher grade there are those that put aside their ego, don't establish large for profit organisations or website shops, set up learn by mail courses offering DVDs, appear on youtube or even do much of the seminar circuit. Instead they just practice diligently sticking to the techniques as in the densho and not going off on some tangent of made up henkas.

I've trained with one or two of these, and whilst I am not a level to say who is and who is not worth X grade, its obvious that these people were very knowledgable and did practice what they preached, and what was taught from the source.