Insurance for overseas training?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by trs5, Nov 10, 2015.

1. trs5

trs5 New Member

I am going to China for a year to train in a Shaolin academy, but I am having trouble finding an insurance that covers my training. The academy I am going to don't offer an insurance for training, and it isn't possible for me to use the insurer of my current club overseas.

So far my best option seems to be to have a travel insurance policy, to cover my flights, travel and so on, then to find a separate policy to cover myself for my actual training.

Does anyone have any recommended martial arts insurance that could be used overseas? Or does anyone know of a travel insurance provider that will insure me for accident or injury while training? I have been using comparison websites to find my travel insurance, but so far have yet to come across a policy that covers Kung-Fu.

This is my first time going overseas to train, so if there is another way of doing this, please point it out, thanks :)

2. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

It would be nearly impossible to say, without knowing which country you are traveling from, but as a guide, most travel insurance companies have an option to add activities to the policy. For example, with Thomas Cook, you can add 'Hazardous activity' to your policy, which will prompt you to fill in an auto-fill field, which after a few letters, will give you the option of Martial Arts (Training Only) which then adds about £20 to your overall costs.

Travess

3. trs5

trs5 New Member

I had only been on comparison sites so far so I hadn't realised that, cheers!
    And its England, so Thomas Cook is probably the one.

4. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

So you are going to China to live for a year? You might be surprised but in many ways you are going to a capitalist society where you can buy most things if you have a few bob! I have a mate living north of Beijing for a few years and he said that medicine is fairly cheap to purchase and you often have to buy it on top of what the state offers anyway.

Now I have no idea how Thomas Cook or others work but I bet that for minor injuries you won't get reimbursed. If it's serious then you need to be sure that the insurance will cover you for either private cover in a western hospital in the PRC or ship you to a centre of your choice where adequate treatment for your condition is available. You will also want to be sure that both lodging and travel costs are included I would think.

Something to think about eh!

You didn't actually say what you are studying now and whether this has any relationship to what you will be studying in China. This could be something that will influence whether you get hurt or not...

LFD

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Small things you will probably buy yourself. You'll be wanting cover for things like concussions, heat exhaustion, maybe broken bones but it's not as likely.

6. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Dog Tag will cover some martial arts activities. I used them for BJJ cover a few years back. If it doesn't state the specific style on the lists, contact them to make sure you are covered. https://www.dogtag.com/