Instructor

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Joseki, Apr 15, 2002.

1. Joseki

Joseki Valued Member

In your veiw what makes a good instructor ????

2. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

The ability to communicate not only the curriculum of the system, but the underlying principles of *why* it is structured that way and *why* it works.

Mike

3. Joseki

Joseki Valued Member

Thats good

4. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Someone who is interested in other people. Willing to give of themselves to bring out qualities the student is unaware they posess.

Andy

5. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Good communication and technical skills. Some of the best instructors/coaches aren't necessarily some of the best Martial Artists. You could liken it to gymnastics that way.

Thanx

6. Jim

Jim New Member

I think honesty is an excellent quality in an instructor. The ability to say 'buggered if I know, but I'll find out by next class' is a good answer to a difficult question rather than 'that question isn't for this time', or some such.

7. Silver_no2

Silver_no2 Avenging Angel

All of the above...and the ability to laugh with his/her students.

8. NielStewart

NielStewart New Member

Someone who acknowledges that they are also still a student...

9. Jim

Jim New Member

Ah, yes Neil, especially that.

10. stump

stump Supersub

I think the ability to inspire a student is an important quality for a good instructor to have

11. morphus

morphus Doobrey

Good instructor?

I totally agree with everything thats been posted here. Confidence in what they re teaching helps!
    Freeform's quote interested me "some of the best instructors aren't necesarily the best martial artists" - I feel this is definatly true from experience and now i teach my own class occasionally i feel a fraud thinking - 'well i Know i'm not the best so why should the students listen to me'! Could anyone elaborate on this it may help me with my 'occasional' lapse in confidence???????:eek:

12. Jim

Jim New Member

Strange but definately true. I remember my instructors (MA & Military) as being not what I 'would have been' if I was in their shoes, but I think that charisma is an important part of being an instructor. It goes hand in hand with being able to identify with students and their being inspired by you.

13. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I think selflessness has to be high on the list - probably the reason why many exeptional fighters do not make exeptional teachers - they're too wrapped up in their own development.

14. morphus

morphus Doobrey

Good instructor?

I agree, selflessness high on the list but are we talking about giving up your spare time or perhaps being less indulgent in your own training (even though a tutor must go on learning) or are we talking about the whole chi-bang? Opinions?
    Heres a sub-question;
    At what point (what grade, age etc) should somebody be able to teach and what other points to take into concideration? I mean - a simple snap kick technique could prob' be taught by someone two or three grades up, but maybe they couldnt teach application, so where do we stand on this people? Opinions please!

15. Joseki

Joseki Valued Member

We let students teach at 3rd Kyu (light blue 2 away from black) this my sound a bit late but by that time they should know enough and have confiduce in what they are teaching.

16. paul paterson

paul paterson Valued Member

You must first learn that an instructor instructs and a teacher teaches, what makes a good instructor has nothing to do with teaching and both are different in there own ways. However, please remember. Any tom dick or harry can tell you what to do, but it takes understanding, honesty, courtesy, knowledge, and many other forms to become a good teacher. Shihan Creton of Karate Jutsu Kai once said to me at a summer camp, it takes blood, sweat, tears, and a life time to understand this and that. So just be yourself and remember the meaning of Osu.

Paul Paterson
    1st DAN JIYUSEISHINKAI
    2nd DAN KYUOKUSHIKAI

17. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

An instructor can also be a teacher, and should be.

Actually looking at the definition its a very blurred line between the two. An instructor is one who offers instruction in a subject, whereas a teacher teaches it.

18. paul paterson

Osu, ckdstudent. You are correct in what you have said however, you contradict yourself on your first paragraph. Please remember what an instructor is. Someone who offers instruction, ie someone who tell the student what to do such as, do 50 hiza geri, or go there and do for me Sanchin Kata. That is what an instructor is and does. Whereas, the teacher is someone who is everything rolled into one, example. like a social worker, a friend, a chaplin, a parent (mother or father or both), etc. The teacher sees the path best suited for the student at the time and guides them and then explains down to the last detail and feeling what it is. I do agree with you, but as I have said before, any fool can tell someone what to do, but can that fool explain why and wherefore, etc. That takes someone very special, and not everyone is suited to be a teacher.

Osu.
    Paul Paterson
    1st DAN JIYUSEISHINKAI
    2nd DAN KYOKUSHINKAI

19. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Just because you're telling them what to do doesn't mean you can't help them learn it as well. And can you deny that a martial arts instructor should be a teacher?

The first part refers to martial arts instructors in particular, the second is the general definition of instructors and teachers.

20. paul paterson

Osu, ckdstudent. you are correct in what you say however, each school will have their own methods and practices and who am I to argue with an "expert". I shall say no more on this subject as it is obvious that I am an "expert".

Osu.
    Paul Paterson
    1st Dan jiyuseishinkai
    2ndDAN Kyokushinkai