Instructor credentials

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by lexmark, Aug 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lexmark

lexmark Valued Member

Hello to all. I have a question about a local jujitsu instructor and I was wondering if anybody can tell me if he's legit.

He is Hanshi Simon Limoges, 8th dan and he is recognized by the "ALL JAPAN JU-JITSU INTERNATIONAL FEDERATION"

http://www.ajjif.org/AJJIFblackbelts.htm

ANd he also has this: http://www.geocities.com/kidokan_bu_jutsu/CVEnglish.html

I'm supposed to go and see him tonight and try to find out what it's all about. The classes actually start next week.

Thanks

2. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

do you have reason to doubt this individual?

3. lexmark

lexmark Valued Member

No reason to doubt him. Just trying to remember what I've read here and other places aobut Mcdojo's. I don't know anything about ju-jitsu or martial arts for that matter and I'm trying to go into it knowing at least something about it. This guy could be full of it and I would have no idea.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2007
  4. TheMadhoose

heres a wacky idea you go along see what his schools all about, speak with his students parents of students and watch his classes. you either like what you see or you don't.

5. lexmark

lexmark Valued Member

I do plan on going to a class or 2 before I decide. But again, this guy could be full of it and I would have no idea. I forgot to mention this before but he just moved to my town and I wouldn't think he would have any students that he's had before. It'll be the first class he's taught here. So I can't really ask the parents or anything like that.

All I'm trying to find out is if the affiliations he has listed on the second link, are legit. That's it.

Thanks

6. TheMadhoose

Look a bit of common sense should tell you if your being took for a ride. you will either take to it and ay this is the sh...........erm stuff for me or go yeah rite hes an a... fraud? Go on use the power of your own and as yet unbiased opinion. MAP is not a definitive source on schools or instructors MAP is all opinions

7. lexmark

lexmark Valued Member

Well, I went and saw the jujitsu instructor and I'm not quite sure that it's for me. I really like the idea of being able to control someone just by moving or turning a certain way when they are holding your wrist or whatever. But he had me try that on him and the way he moved and twisted my wrist really freakin' hurt. I know that it's about submission and pressure points and things like that but I've never done anything really physical to prepare me for something like that. He had his son there and they demonstrate several different things and he was just putting his son all over the mat.

I just don't know. I think, deep down, I know that I'm not the type of person that would be able to concentrate on the technique without thinking about how much it could hurt. But he did say that it should only hurt if I don't do exactly what he says to do. And if I'm the type of person that doesn't like alot of contact, grappling, hair pulling, choking, that sort of thing, then jujitsu probably isn't for me.

He said the way he teaches, modern, is a mix of karate, judo, and aikido. But I liked that he didn't say his way was better than the karate, it just depends on the person. Anyway, he seemed genuine and a good teacher, I just haven't decided if it's for me. I dont' know if I'm gonna go to the first class

8. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Use your own judgement on this, but do some good research and homework.

As far as I know (and I lived in Japan for a number of years, training in jujutsu and other classical budo), there is no such organisation as the "All Japan Ju-jitsu International federation". I got around a bit and heard of a lot of budo organisations out there.

Just look at the title of the organisation. Which is it, all Japan, or international? Trying to put the title into correct Japanese grammar would be oxymoronic. Bimyou da ze! (Summat ain't right!) That and since the org is "All Japan", why is the president's name Alexey Kunin? A 9th dan in Daito-ryu? Does Kondo Katsuyuki Sensei know? :rolleyes:

I doubt if Sato Kimitoshi sensei knows he's a member of this organisation. I saw his name on the list of blackbelts. He's busy enough with the admin of the Kokusai Budoin (International Martial Arts Federation) and running his Nihon Jujutsu system (Gendai budo).

9. Aff

Aff Valued Member

i'm also surprised he put a lock on that gave you that much pain. either he's trying to be macho (not good) or you're wrists are extremely weak. if it's the latter he should still have known better imo.

i'm not a fan of macho instructors.

10. lexmark

lexmark Valued Member

It could be that I have wreak wrists. I've never done anything specifically that would strengthen them. But I don't think he was trying to be macho. He said he's had some high grade,black/brown belt, students that would sometimes put more power than necessary into the technique but he doesn't like that. He said if your partner does something to the point of actually injuring you, he will correct that individual in much the same way.

But then again, I've always had a low tolerance for pain. It went away after a couple of minutes but it definately hurt real bad.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2007
  11. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

Like Kogusoku said, the organisation's name rings a few alarm bells with me, it's confusing. Like they put Japan in the name to make it sound better!
    He was throwing his son around to make him look good, which isn't that bad, but was the son throwing himself around to make his father look better?

12. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Did you enjoy the class ?

If yes go back it gets better ....

If no ....find something else which you do like ...

as to credentials and names of organisations etc.....dont get too hung up on the little stuff ....does it work and is it fun ??

Smurf

13. nickh

nickh Valued Member

Anything ending in "Federation" is almost always a fraud, as far as jujutsu is concerned.

Also noticed the words "Shodai Soke"; yet another sign of a fake.

Red-and-white blocked belts? Almost always a sign of a made-up style.

What on earth is "Daito Ryu Ju Jutsu Nichi Bei Int"?

And what is "Aiki Bu Jutsu"?

14. lexmark

lexmark Valued Member

Thanks for all of the replies. I decided after meeting with him and thinking about it that I'm not going to do jujitsu. At least not for the time being. I'm gonna start shotokan karate next week. I might try something new in a few years but that's what I'm doing for now.

Thanks again.

15. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Enjoy your path and hey be good at whatever you undertake..

regards

Smurf

16. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

The group is a mcdojo association. You have to take a long look at your reasons why you want to train, if you want to learn you will 'man up' and learn to thrive on the close contact, if you dont think you want to push yourself past your boundries then there will be no benefit in yourself taking up MA.

If you really want to learn, visit a few different Dojo and think about who you want to be (MA wise) in five or ten years.

17. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

So, WJJF then? (no opinions on them personally)

Judo is made up?

18. nickh

nickh Valued Member

Afraid so.
    I have yet to see ANY system that uses the suffix -JJF (or -JJA or -JJO) which is genuine Japanese jujutsu.

LOL!

My bad -- I should have been more specific and said: 'red and white blocked belts in jujutsu.'

Matter of fact, any item of red clothing is ... well ... a red flag IMO.

19. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

made up?

All martial arts are made up, the important question is by who and when, your own style of ishin 'ryu' jujiutsu is connected to WJJF, The WJJF is made up of some pre war judo, bits of lancashire wrestling and some poor quality karate and aikido. Make of that what you will.

20. Garibaldi

Garibaldi Valued Member

Are you joking!? Red/White block is standard colour for 5th (?) Dan in most Jujitsu systems.

Show me any "japanese" jujitsu in the west and the chances are its more japanese for reference purposes than historically!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.