Insomnia after BJJ training

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by SteveP, Aug 7, 2015.

1. SteveP

SteveP Valued Member

Anyone else suffer from this? I find that I struggle getting to sleep after training in the evening. I guess it's the adrenaline etc., from rolling.

2. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

What time does the class end? I tend to have all my training done by 8pm. Any class that went on past 9:30pm tended to keep me awake. You need time to wind down in the evening I learned. I can't go from 100mph to sleep in 30 mins, it takes me longer.

3. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Can't stress this enough, if you can't take the time to rest though, do something that makes you tired immediately afterward, i generally read when i got restless, but i know that isn't for everyone, so what ever works for you.

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I always find I play over a class (not just BJJ) in my mind.
    What I did well, what I did badly, things to work on, etc etc.
    So perhaps not only is there a physical component there could be a mental one too?
    Maybe think about a note book or something to "dump" things from the class from your mind?

5. SteveP

SteveP Valued Member

Yes, this. The latest class ends at 8:30pm but I definitely re-run mentally what happened in class afterwards.

I've tried reading and watching programming tutorial videos (the concentration tires me out) but it didn't work last night and I only ended up getting around 4hrs sleep. Pretty zombied today!

I might try going for a steady walk after class, see if that helps.

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

You need to mentally and physically cool down, otherwise its hard to sleep

Have the last roll (or 2) at a lighter pace, stretch at the end of class, when you get home write down your BJJ thoughts.

7. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Relaxation in rolling is what I would stress. No need to be adrenalised after class and to be coming down from 100%. I always feel super calm/cleaned out and physically spent after a session - which is a great combination for sleep physically - and never buzzing from adrenaline. I always stretch for a good 15 mins when I get in too; which helps relax everything further.
    I think it's natural to mull over class but it doesn't keep me up. If it did then I'd take up PAsmiths suggestion of a notepad.

Edit: you can still roll hard with a relaxed mind of course, I'm not saying to necessarily roll light the whole session. Eg I spend 2 of last night's nogi rolls controlling 2 different newb bodybuilders for 5mins: they were going craaaaazy but I managed to control and sub them by staying technical and economic /brag ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2015
  8. SteveP

SteveP Valued Member

I'm still pretty new to it so I'm still probably rolling more with strength than technique.

9. Knee Rider

I did that for two years :p

10. SteveP

SteveP Valued Member

Haha!

11. Knee Rider

In all seriousness I found the best way to get past the use of over muscling in jitz was to relinquish the idea of winning the roll and to relinquish the fear of losing position. It's something I've only really internalised over the last year, even though it's advice you always hear. For example if you are getting passed then just relax, try to prevent/defend the pass, use your hips be technical, use your muscle efficiently, but if you end up in side control bottom then fine, stay tight, stay safe, work to escape: you'll be learning... Which is the real victory.

The mat is your lab and your classroom... Time to experiment and learn :)

12. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

It's all too easy to get home, turn on all the lights, switch on the TV and check the PC for emails.

All of these things are going to keep you awake.

The problem many of us have is we don't prepare for sleep. We just go to bed and expect it to happen.

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93727

Further details on entrainment in the link below.

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93777

A walk may be a good idea as it'll give you mind a change to organise the day's events.

Keep it chilled when you get home and take 30 minutes to prepare for sleep.

If your mind wanders when you get to bed some basic meditation that focuses on your breathing will help.

13. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I second that!

I have to take buses and trains to get to/ home from training.
    That can be nice on it's own, because I have nearly 90 minutes (more with waiting) until I even get home.

I use this time a lot to write down the techniques we did on the day. Or add more details in notes, when finally something new "clicked" and got clearer.
    I also write theory down, when we had some; some tips, I got; mistakes I make over and over, despite knowing it better; what went well (that's theory so far, because I'm never satisfied ;) ); ...

14. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

I've had difficulty sleeping for years-especially after a night in weapons or ballet. A supplement called "Calm" helps me a great deal. Also, I use one of those light alarm clocks that shines bright light instead of buzzing loudly-similar to a light box. After you use this for a while, your brain gets used to waking up more naturally and sleep patterns get better.

Hope this helps! :)

15. SteveP

SteveP Valued Member

Thanks, Simon, I'll give those a read later with a brew.

16. Simon

I have a technique that was shown to be by my first Kung Fu instructor and I still teach it to people with sleeping difficulties.

It revolves around a breathing technique and it has never failed me yet.

I'll try and get a video posted in a couple of weeks time.

It's simple, but it works.

17. Knee Rider

Step away from the caffeine mate ;)

18. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

A brief bit of meditation will see you right. I like the Pineal Activation Trance tracks you can find on Youtube. Obviously it's complete woo nonsense, but as calming white noise as you meditate yourself to a relaxed state I really like it.
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq8RA0LGoZE"]Pineal Gland Activation Video 2013 Brainwave Binaural Beat Full Length HD Meditation - YouTube[/ame]

19. SteveP

SteveP Valued Member

You know me too well. That's more than likely the root of all my sleeping problems!

20. Simon