inside switch kick/ ankle problems

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Bruce Irving, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Bruce Irving

Bruce Irving New Member

the last 2 times that i have sparred in class i attempted the switch kick to inside leg of my opponent and both times i hit with my foot/ankle.(which of course hurt like hell, and left me walking like an idiot for several days) i think i was to far when i threw it.. but i dont like getting in close n then going through the "wind up motion"(lost for words at the moment*) because i feel like it may be taking up to much time and in a ring fight would be easy to spot and counter.
    so my question is
    1. when is a good time to throw the switch kick?
    2. will my foot/ankle eventually build up an immunity?
    3. what is the best way to nurse my foot/ankle to a quick recovery?

2. duderanch182

duderanch182 Bored Thaiboxer

I can only answer your first question and your best time to throw the kick is when when you throw a jab so they don't expect the kick. You do have to be in a little closer than normal but not too much.

Do you wear ankle supports because if you don't they might help as I use them. And I'm guessing but I would have thought ice would be the best thing to use when you hurt your ankle but I might be wrong. You ankles may get a little tougher but I would not expect it to get that strong.

3. Bruce Irving

Bruce Irving New Member

after the first injury i went out and bought an ankle support and yes it does seem to help alot! any one else have any remedies/comments

4. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

use your hands to set up your legs. hide your switch with a punch because otherwise they are gonna see it and move backwards. Also are you hitting the inside of their thigh or their knee? hitting their thigh shouldnt hurt too much if you smack it with your foot. if you keep hitting the knee aim a little higher :D

5. Bruce Irving

Bruce Irving New Member

yes hitting the knee was clearly an accident as was hitting it with my foot. as u stated i threw it from my gaurd and he just took a step back and .. well i hit his knee... nothing pretty or fun about it...

6. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

Ikken beat me to it. You have to draw your opponents attention first, and a punch is usually the easiest/most effective. This will also keep you from hitting with the instep and cranking your ankle as your opponent steps back.

7. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

use punchs to set it up.

but i also like to throw that inside thigh kick right when the are stepping forward. (especally if they are heavy footed)

or right after they jab.its almost automatic now. parry jab inside leg kick.it does not have to be a full switch kick ether. just parry jab with right hand and step maybe 8 inches to thright and throw kick.

8. cityofangels

cityofangels New Member

1. As ikken and khun kao said, if your opponent doesnt see the kick coming, for example, if you take his attention with a punch combination, depending on his skill level, he'll be so focused on protecting his upper body that there should be plenty of opportunity for an inside or outside low kick.... make sure your maintaining good eye contact, obviously if your staring at his legs for a minute, he'll see it a mile off.... im assuming from your term "switch kick", your using your left leg? and im guessing your using a small skip before throwing the kick in, if you dont like going through "the wind up motion" as you said, lean slighly back and use your leading leg.

2. Your problem is quite common, your opponent is stepping back and your making contact with the knee rather than the inside thigh.... in answer to your question, no your foot wont build up immunity - well, thats not true, it will, when its conditioned after regular training, which i assume is possible, similar to your shin conditioning.... ideally, you want to perfect your technique so that your making contact with the inside thigh and not the knee, saving you an injured foot.... i have two techniques for inside kicks, the first is the 'normal' one, a slap with the foot, which should leave a nice red mark on the inside thigh if its done correctly, i only use this when i know that theres no chance im going to hit a hard bone such as a knee, noone is 100% accurate all the time.... theres something like 26 small bones in your foot, so hitting your opponents knee will hurt you more than him.... the second technique i use when i cant be sure is similar to a low kick, i use my shin to kick the inside thigh, it doesnt sting as much but its still effective.

3. For any minor martial arts injury, thai oil is your god, its nursed me through countless injuries, the worst which was a fractured toe when i was younger - lesson learnt, never practice low kicks on the leg of a couch.... anyway, bare in mind, thai oil will not work miracles, it will only take away the pain and your injury is still there.... your quickest recovery is always a short time out, repetative injury can mean permenant damage.

9. duderanch182

duderanch182 Bored Thaiboxer

Why has no one noticed that I said about throwing a punch before you throw a kick first? :bang:

Thai oil is good but remember not to use too often otherwise you body gets used to it and won't be that effective.

10. cityofangels

cityofangels New Member

because its obvious :D no your right, you replied first, credit where its due n that :cool: