Inosanto / Lacoste connection

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by DeeTee, Sep 18, 2003.

1. DeeTee

DeeTee Valued Member

Hi,

Strictly out of curiosity, does anyone know the extent to which Dan Inosanto trained with John Lacoste? Not how long he knew him etc, but actually trained with the man.

Thanks

2. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

Hi DeeTee,

I've been trying to get you a concrete answer on this but nobody that I know seems to have that kind of information for sure.

From the 1980 book written by Guro I "The Filipino Martial Arts" I have pulled several dates which can give you an idea of his training with John LaCoste.

1961 - Discharged from military and moved to LA, started training in Kempo with Ed Parker. At some point around the time DI gets a black belt in Kempo, presumably several years later, Ed Parker suggests that DI look into Eskrima

1977 - Death/murder of John LaCoste

1980 - Publication of FMA book in which DI says he's been trying to get a handle of John LaCoste's footwork for about 14 years. Presumably this interview took place 1-2 years before publication (judging by the publication times that we have on books in my company).

So from this I'm postulating that he trained with John LaCoste from about 1963/4 to 1977.

From the description in the book it sounds like the training happened in an ad hoc fashion rather than regular classes. Sorry that I don't have more info. If you like I can bring a copy of the section from the book about John LaCoste with me when we meet up?

Also Guro I will be over in July for his 25th annual seminar - no doubt its a question he'd be happy to answer.

Hope that's useful?

Dred

Last edited: Feb 18, 2004
  3. jkdKNIFER

jkdKNIFER New Member

I have seen a tape from guro Dans personal tape collection and he is training with like 25 different teachers, and it has cheesy 70's music in the backround but just know that inosanto is very good at what he does and he has been trained by the most dangerous men in the world

4. DeeTee

DeeTee Valued Member

"...but just know that inosanto is very good at what he does and he has been trained by the most dangerous men in the world."

I've no doubt he's good at what he does but THE most dangerous men in the world? And they all just happen to live in the States right?

5. jkdKNIFER

jkdKNIFER New Member

yea, most of THE MOST dangerous men in the world have moved to the U.S.
    but inosanto went back to the phillipines and trained there too. Most of the
    greatest martial artists live in california. trust me dude...i have seen many amazing things happen in martial arts :p

6. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

I don't know if all of the "most dangerous men in the world" have moved to Cali (or the states for that matter), but Inasanto has trained with some badasses. He did a lot of work with Tuhon Leo Gaje back in the 80's and Tuhon Gaje is not someone whose known to mess around. Guro Dan once told me about a public live blade (balisong) demo they gave in Texas where he accidently cut Gaje. At the time I think Guro Dan was wondering if Tuhon Gaje was going to return the favor and gut him before the demo was over.

- Matt

7. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Guro Inosanto has never been to the Philippines.

8. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Thanks for posting that Yoda. I meant to include it. I know that is a BIG sticking point that a lot of Filipino instructors about Guru Dan (one of a few).

- Matt

9. DeeTee

DeeTee Valued Member

MOST dangerous

That's an amazingly insular viewpoint. Maybe you should travel a bit and see what's outside of the States, or at least outside California.

Yoda, You got that one in before all of us!

10. david f

david f New Member

There are no doubt, proficient masters of the FMA in california who are very dangerous. But I think it must be kept in mind that FMA were born and evolved in the philippines. I think you may find some very dangerous masters there.

11. jkdKNIFER

jkdKNIFER New Member

I've seen a tape of inosanto in the Phillipines (did i spell that right?) training and in the hawaiian islands with guro ted lucaylucay's grandfather...
    and many other grandmasters.

12. jkdKNIFER

jkdKNIFER New Member

One more thing, who cares about who is who and what is what,
    all i know is that if 5 dudes surround me and want my money, i can rely on my training and my trusty blade... :woo:
    FMA and indonesian martial arts are supreme comparatively

13. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

*Sigh

Dude - you are wrong.

Which tape was this?

14. Bayani

Bayani Valued Member

You're more apt to take a life easily here in the Philippines and getaway with it. Not the same in the U.S. No one here cares if you are a Master in any art. in fact they really don't carry tittles unless they have formed a foormalized school or organization. the Dangerous ones are the ones without martial skill...no control. Just take your life for whatever reason..tehn go have more beers or drugs. With this as a common occurence , why do you tyhink we seek arts with more realistic points of view. And one more thing....Guro Dan has never been to the Philippines! :D sorry couldn't help it.

15. krys

krys Valued Member

Dangerous for what? Your bank account :D ? I heard some "famous masters" in the US ask 100$ an hour for private lessons or they won't teach you knife fighting...

:rolleyes:... correction: the greatest McDojoartists maybe but definitely not the greatests martial artists :D.

16. DeeTee

DeeTee Valued Member

"Dangerous for what? Your bank account ? I heard some "famous masters" in the US ask 100$ an hour for private lessons or they won't teach you knife fighting..."

Some are charging much more than that now. 4 years ago I knew of 2 FMA instructors in the US who were charging $250 and $500 per hour. Who knows what it is now?

"You're more apt to take a life easily here in the Philippines and getaway with it. Not the same in the U.S. No one here cares if you are a Master in any art. in fact they really don't carry tittles unless they have formed a foormalized school or organization. the Dangerous ones are the ones without martial skill...no control. Just take your life for whatever reason..tehn go have more beers or drugs. With this as a common occurence , why do you tyhink we seek arts with more realistic points of view. And one more thing....Guro Dan has never been to the Philippines! sorry couldn't help it."

I was training with with a master from Cebu some time ago whilst he was here in London and he was saying the exact same thing. He said that in the west there's a greater tendency to waste too much time in a confrontation thinking about the legal consequences of ones actions before it's turned physical. Police, prison, family, job, etc. "Back home we don't worry so much about these things. If I kill a guy I just go off into the mountains and come back after a year." Scarey but true. It was an eye opener into the different mindset that is used between there and here.

17. pepe

pepe New Member

its PHILIPPINES ,single L double PP ;)

18. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

pepe
    you're right its double P...Philippines.....named after the king of Spain King Philip d 2nd , way way back

19. krys

krys Valued Member

Naku!, 500$?!? one hour :eek: ? Peoples in the islands will stop taking caregivers courses to go abroad and learn arnis instead if they hear that... I will tell that to my pinoy m.a. brothers they'll have a good laugh.... last time they couldn't believe one could be charged 50$ for a two hours session...

When I said 100$ it concerned a famous guy who's teaching "kali", he teaches stick-empty hands during formal classes but if you want to learn knife you will only be able to do it during private lessons, one class is at least two hours so it's 200$ a session....

In the Philippines or other south asian countries it turns quickly physical and you don't have time to think about the consequences or you end up dead..... Fmas are warriors arts and about killing...it is difficult to explain to western peoples that you have to chop your ennemie's hands off or cut their throat in order to disarm them instead of trying those fancy wrist locks...

I was told in the Philippines that while practicing my Juruhs (silat forms) I should have the mindset of a warrior hunting for heads and going to attack another village... other tribal guys said worse things :D.... Actually in the southern Philippines killing somebody isn't a great deal...peoples may give first hand explanations for interesting moves...

Last edited: Jun 18, 2004
  20. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Hi Dave,

Actually, I have an American friend (trains under Cass Magda) who has seen tape of both Cass and Danny training in the PI. So it has happened, I think its kept quiet so as to discourage challenges.

Bill