Inner door students

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Please reality, Feb 8, 2014.

1. TomD

TomD Valued Member

Just like he always pretends he was the only gaijin there at the time, even though a whole bunch more came before, during and in the years after his stay.

2. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

Akban often gets discussed when Doron is brought up. Doron was an inner door student of Hatsumi sensei, however the situation when he brought the art back to Israel must've been unique due to requirements for teaching martial arts and the social/political realities that were very different from Japan, America, or Europe.

Now, I don't agree with many of the technical aspects of the teaching that has been changed, however not many will disagree that the Israeli ninjutsu practitioners tend to be tougher and better to hold their own than what you find in some of the more Stay Puff variety of LARPers one often finds in the art.

Now I do not know to what extent each of Doron's students were able to learn the intricacies of the ryu, but it seems that the methodology of most seems to be in the right direction.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rr8Nxr8IDk"]Ninjutsu colloquium in AKBAN, Jan 2014 - Koto Ryu koppojutsu - YouTube[/ame]

If you look at this video, you will see many examples of that. I don't like the borrowing and changing of footwork from other arts(ie boxing) or the changing of things for practicality's sake(the kata and principles are practical, the question is does each person have the capability to understand, internalize, and demonstrate them in violent interaction), but I do understand the rationale behind the changes and feel that if one must seek outside fixes to solve one's taijutsu problem, worse arts could be chosen than the one's shown here.

So when people assume that if Doron was an inner door disciple of Hatsumi sensei, then Doron's students should all demonstrate a like ability and understanding, they first have to learn more about Doron's teaching methods, his students length of time and ability, and also how they move and teach. Even if they cannot do the movement in the traditional way, it definitely seems like many have learned the conceptual aspect of progression in training that is missing in many foreigners training.

So again, good conceptualization, but I see some areas where I would disagree with their understanding of Koto Ryu. Take the kata Batsugi for example, that is demonstrated early in the video. As the characters demonstrate, the key is on drawing(bats/nuku) and technique(gi). So beating his technique to the punch so to speak, like drawing your short sword as the opponent goes for his long sword. The kind of omote gyaku used is also a technical aspect of the technique, as is the strike that proceeds the wrist lock and enables you to beat his technique to the draw.

This video gives a better demonstration of the basic technique but instead of talking about backwards and forwards in Koto Ryu, I think the key is more on rotational and sinking movements that are used in different directions. To simply move backward and forward without changing the plane of the hips is incorrect from the teachings of this ryu. The footwork is therefore, less straightforward(as shown below, as he steps forward the uke can still trip or kick him in the groin), and a big technical aspect of understanding the kata. So if you replace the footwork with something from another system(which while totally valid in its own right, has nothing to do with koppojutsu), you miss the opportunity to realize some aspects of what the kata is supposed to be teaching.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB-dElqXxVY"]Batsugi no kata - koto ryu - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  3. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Personally I feel that Akban now have only a passing resemblance to the Bujinkan. Have they trained with any Bujinkan people recently?

I am not saying this is good or bad, but certainly different. There seems to be less...subtlety....more strength and forcing of technique. Some of the basic movements are different too.

Maybe that's just how their vids look?

4. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

I have been watching the akban videos and have notice a few things that are different to what im being taught.

Now im a newb at this, but the biggest thing I see them doing that Is different to what im taught is how they do there jodan uke. (not talking about the video above, but other videos on there site.) They seam to bring in down and backwards towards themselves. Which is not how im taught it.

Secondly, and they seam stiff. Now im stiff, as im new at this, but my instructors move with a smoothness and are not stiff. These guys seam stiff.

I do like some of the sparring they do, looks fun.

5. Please reality

Actually, you will see many people doing jodan uke improperly like that, it is more common than you'd believe.

I do agree that the Akban stuff is very different, but in many more ways than something small like how they do jodan uke.

6. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Pr, I agree that they are likely very different then just that small point I mentioned. As im new at this I just pointed out something small that I saw. It would be foolish to try and point out other stuff as I don't know enough.

The way they do their jodan uke is a glaring flaw for me though. Because of their down and backwards movement, it seams as if it would take way to long to execute on a real punch. Just watch some of there old videos on their site, and you will see what I mean.

I cant really put my finger on it but their foot work seams off, when they are sparring. It almost looks like foot work I have seen in mma.

I realize the ackban website has nothing to offer me as their training is different. I have been there a lot because they seam to be the only place on line with a collection of kata from the various RYU-ha. I wish someone with a closer connection to Soke had a collection of the kata done in a more correct fashion.

7. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

KFrame as money permits you can purchase Hatsumi Sensei dvd's which have kata in them.

8. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Brian, can you recommend some? He apparently has quite few dvds.

I didn't know he had dvds with the kata in them.

9. Please reality

:google: is your friend. Don't be so dependent on others, or you won't get far in these arts. There are other vids on the Good Ninjutsu thread too, just look at all of them with Japanese people in them.

If you have a computer, you can watch Daikomyosai exerts, some of the Quest videos, and taikai online for free.

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

PR, we're a discussion forum. Of course there are other avenues by which to get answers. And if people insisted on using them each time they wondered something, we wouldn't HAVE a discussion forum. Part of the point of places like this is that the interaction with other like-minded souls is at least as important as the information it gleans. Google has its place, but we're here to talk with one another.

11. Please reality

Point taken. I have also been in PM conversation and tried to give advice as much as possible with Kframe and other posters as well. I did answer the question, but was just pointing out that with the Xkans, there is a bigger danger in relying overly on others that one probably doesn't find as much in other arts.

Again, regarding the amount of video footage out there of grandmaster Hatsumi, a quick search would yield weeks worth(if not more) of viewable footage without requiring anything more than a few seconds time. Unless one was looking for something specific(and as a beginner that probably wouldn't be the case), a google search is a good tool to use. That isn't to say that Brian or anybody else shouldn't chime in by the way. I wasn't trying to deter conversation but duly noted if it looked that way.

12. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

RP absolutely google is our friend in this day and age.

KFrame, there is so much footage of Hatsumi Sensei I would dare say he is probably the most videod taped martial practitioner in the world.

I always recommend Kobudo No Kihon and What is Martial Arts to people.

I also really like the Washington D.C. Tai Kai on Gyokko Ryu and Kossijutsu. If memory serves me correct that had excellent breakdown of the kata.

You also cannot go wrong with Hatsumi Sensei dvd's on the 9 ryu.

Like RP said look online and you will be able to get a lot of video footage free and in time save up and buy dvd's featuring Hatsumi Sensei.

13. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

I take no umbrage with PR. I was just looking for recommendations because I found a bunch of videos by Soke and was unsure which ones would be best to start with.

Though point taken on trying to get others to hold my hand.

I have always had issues with confidence and tend to let others guide me. It is something that I am working on changing. I need to learn to trust my self and my own observations.

PR has given me some good advice in pm and I appreciate it.

With regards to google searching Soke, I actually do look for specific things. I have found several hours worth of videos of him, just most of it of kata and techniques for people of much higher level.. At my level, im really interested in seeing how he does his Kamae and striking defense. Mostly just wanting to see him do more basic things.

14. Please reality

Nothing wrong with looking for help, especially as a beginner. Just don't forget your background or buy too much into what people tell you.

Problem is, soke hasn't been doing real basic stuff on video for decades. So if you watch a modern version of his kihon stuff for example, it will be very different from something you might find from the 70s or 80s or even 90s. Hard to recommend any particular one, better to just look and look and look and slowly start to see. The video version of the kata, even in the old Quest ryu ones, aren't always what many people think they are. So more so than any particular technique or punch, try to see his movement and how it affects the uke. That will hold you in good stead down the road.