Injuries: Judo or BJJ?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Adam, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Adam

Adam New Member

Which style will likely give you the most plentiful and serious injuries, short and long term?

2. I would have said BJJ. Its emphasis is on groundwork and submissions, meaning you will be strangled and arm-locked more than regularly. It also includes strikes. Judo is more geared towards throws and a few submissions and locks, so you will probably get a few scratches and things from trying to establish grips.

Actually, out of interest do you mean BJJ or JJ? BJJ has far less striking and standup work. My friend started Ju jitsu and broke his rib the first lesson :confused: :eek: :)

3. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

You get some bad injuries off throws, though, especially during randori... People landing on shoulders, heads, arms... broken collar bones, dislocated shoulders, broken wrists, concussion... I'm recovering from a disclocated kneecap and that was from a throw- someone sweeping my knee at a funny angle. :(

4. Oh yeah - I'm not disputing that!!!

At the last JUNIOR BJA grading I went to, about 5 lads got stretchered! Both are hard sports/MAs, but I would still give it to BJJ.

5. johndoch

johndoch upurs

I would say judo would be more likely to cause more injury as BJJ training is about getting the tap by controlling the opponent into submission. Unlike judo where most of the emphasis is on throws which is harder to control the way your opponent lands esp in randori.

6. Wesker

Wesker Professional Lurker

Throws suck. One wrong landing is all it takes to herniate a spinal disk. That will ruin your day.

I can live with sore elbows and knees from BJJ submissions, but I need my back in one piece.

7. Strangles suck. One idiot who won't let go and you're dead :p Hope ya see where I'm coming from.

8. Really, it depends. There's no right or wrong answer - it all comes down to how you practise each. We learn breakfalls in Judo to minimise injury from throws. What do all the BJJ guys out there do to minimise leg breaks?

Ju=gentle
    Do=way
    Judo = gentle way - LMAO!

9. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Tap ;)

Really its all about respect you dont go slamming an armbar on trying to break someones arm. Its more like get the lock on and gradually apply pressure then stop when your opponents tap. I've heard heel hooks and other twisting ankle locks can be bad as it can damage the knee before any pain is felt.

10. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

that is entirely true. any martial art can be dangerous if practiced either incorrectly or roughly, simple as that. best thing u can do is go along and have a look!

11. lol even slipping in Tai chi can be dangerous. Damn pesky kids leaving coke on the floor ;) How juvenile of me to mention such trivialities - I must grow up some time!

I asked for that, didn't I? :angel: Yeah it's possible to break some bones before much pain is felt, and there will always be some idiot who tries to kill you. I've had this in judo, and kickboxing with people trying to hammer my face inwards sparring!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2004
  12. Wesker

Wesker Professional Lurker

That's an extremely rare scenario. You'll pass out from a choke hold but you won't die.

13. Even if they don't let go? If I put someone in a choke and they don't tap out, my money's on them dying if I don't let them go.

Rare - yes. Possible - yes also :)

I would also consider passing out a mild "injury" the same as if I was sparring and got knocked out. Rather not thanks.

14. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I have broken bones in Judo classes. I once 'tweaked' my shoulder in BJJ. I would say Judo has the biggest injury risk.

15. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

can you not ask for them back ;)