Injured Shoulder.

Discussion in 'Judo' started by WunHungLo, Mar 1, 2007.

1. WunHungLo

WunHungLo New Member

This probably belongs in the health forum, but since it's a Judo related injury I'm probably going to get better replies here.

Two weeks ago I was practicing Ipon Seoi Nage with an absolute beginner, we were merely loading one another when Sensei decided to let the guy throw me. The guy tried to give me a soft landing (I guess) by trying to suspend my 235 lbs in the air and set me down softly. Well, when he figured out that he couldn't support that much weight in mid air I was promptly drop directly on my left shoulder. I heard a pop and it has been sore and stiff every since, especially first thing in the morning.

I don't think my shoulder dislocated or a muscle pulled or anything, there's was no visible bruise but it is sore when I move my arm in certain directions and feels weak. To best describe it, it feels like two bones collided.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Is there anything that can be done to help it along other than time? And is this something that may stay with me for the rest of my Judo practicing days? I've continued practice, but I'm afraid I'm going to injure myself in some other ways trying to protect my shoulder while falling.

Thank you for your advice.

2. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

Yeah, I think you'd get better results in the H&F forum.

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Where you from?

4. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

I had a similar injury where I damaged my rotator cuff. I could hardly lift my arm though, but the weakness feeling is spot on. I was training again in judo within about 3 months but I still felt the weakness for a good 9-12 months. Just take it easy and listen to your shoulder, if things are too sore stop.

5. Scaramouch

Scaramouch Lost Soul

Had a similar sounding shoulder injury a couple of years ago, ironically doing seoi-otoshi (shoulder-drop) uchikomi. The guy throwing me didn't hold onto my arm to assist the breakfall "turn" and I fell onto the point of my shoulder. No bones broken but had a "separated shoulder", the ligamnet attaching the collar bone to my shoulder was partially torn. Really sore, had to stop and leave the class. Then went to a physio and got a course of ultra-sound treatment and 8 weeks off any sports using my shoulder. It has healed reasonably well but still not 100% 2 yrs later. Do a search on separated shoulder and see if the symptoms sound familiar. In any case I'd go and see a physio. Rotator cut-off is probably a more common shoulder injury in judo, fortunately I've yet to have the pleasure!

6. Geoff Moore

Geoff Moore New Member

Get to the doctors, medical advice on an internet forum is no replacement for your local GP. Compare injuries and experiences by all means but your injury deserves the best treatment you can get, good luck and I hope it doesn't stop you training for too long.

7. JayKayD

JayKayD Meet my friend PAIN!

Sounds a lot like a seperated shoulder (seperation of AC ligament or something) like the previous guy mentioned, i've had the same problem. Although i am very jealous that he got ultra-sound treatment! i didn't get anything like that, the doctor just told me to rest for a while and stop being a pussy. Having said that it healed fairly quickly with no noticable long term problems.

It could well be rotator cuff too though but i haven't had any experience with those injuries. But yeah see a doctor.

8. WunHungLo

WunHungLo New Member

Thanks for the replies everyone.

If this doesn't stop hurting soon, I'll go see the Doc. I guess I'm looking at this with the seriousness of a sprained ankle. I hate going to the Doc unless there's a bone sticking out and the blood continues spurting.

I'm not trying be tough about this, quite the opposite. I hate doctors, they scare me more than a 300 lbs biker hopped up on meth. :D

9. Honu

Honu New Member

If it is a rotator cuff - sooner rather than later. High percentage chance of increased aggravation and bigger problems the longer you leave it. Especially if you want to keep training (through it). But don't see a GP. See a sports medicine guy, they generally will think more about rehab exercises and less about scalpel related approaches. If it gets worse and you have to have it op'd on, you'll be out of action longer than if you just figure it out sooner.